starters not engaging

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:02 pm

starters not engaging

I have just finished restoring my KB2 49'; current issue I cannot get the start to engaged. I did the first couple times I started it and now just spins and a little metal sound. What would you start investigating first?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:41 pm

Re: starters not engaging

It sounds like the bendix is not fully engaging. I would try two things. First is to rotate the engine by hand to move the flywheel a touch and see if that helps. You can many times do this by putting pressure on the fan belt and rotating the fan which will also move the crank. If that works it could be you have a few bad teeth on the flywheel. The other possibility is that there is not quite enough power to engage it. I would ensure a good batter and fully charged with good cables and a good ground.

I am located north of Bellingham so not so far away.

Let me know if either if these help.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:48 pm

if you have an original GRD motor starter HAS to engage in order to start, in that the lever pushing the start button pushes drive gear in,
the lever pushes drive gear into flywheel before it reaches the button, What motor are you working on?
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:20 pm

hattrick4467 wrote:It sounds like the bendix is not fully engaging. I would try two things. First is to rotate the engine by hand to move the flywheel a touch and see if that helps. You can many times do this by putting pressure on the fan belt and rotating the fan which will also move the crank. If that works it could be you have a few bad teeth on the flywheel. The other possibility is that there is not quite enough power to engage it. I would ensure a good batter and fully charged with good cables and a good ground.

Thank you; I will try the both tomorrow. I wonder if the battery does not have enough cranking power; I had to buy a small battery to fit in the battery box.

Guy

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:23 pm

bedrockjon wrote:if you have an original GRD motor starter HAS to engage in order to start, in that the lever pushing the start button pushes drive gear in,
the lever pushes drive gear into flywheel before it reaches the button, What motor are you working on?

I have the original GRD 214; I was able to start it two times after restoring the truck from the frame up. Maybe my ground or I have a bad positive cable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:13 pm

hattrick4467 wrote:It sounds like the bendix is not fully engaging. I would try two things. First is to rotate the engine by hand to move the flywheel a touch and see if that helps. You can many times do this by putting pressure on the fan belt and rotating the fan which will also move the crank. If that works it could be you have a few bad teeth on the flywheel. The other possibility is that there is not quite enough power to engage it. I would ensure a good batter and fully charged with good cables and a good ground.

I replaced the battery, cables, and cleaned the solenoid and the start does not engage. Oh I did rotate the engine by hand. Any ideas?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:20 pm

These original starter on the smaller K's with a HD or GRD flathead didn't have a solenoid, so either someone fitted some other starter or engine in there.

Return to K and KB Build-Off