Semaphor Turn-Signal

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:19 am

Re: Semaphor Turn-Signal

Such a nice, clean set up, It looks like you have all the details nailed on your vehicles, really very cool…
It must be so nice to drive a rig you've worked so hard to get dialed in. On my end the road ahead looks like that Dr.Suess book where the kid has to mow his uncles vast lawn only to find that the grass has grown back again on the other side by the time he's done. I wonder if I'll ever have the whole ensemble just the way I want it. But then, maybe part of the fun is in the chase…enjoying the process. But then, I guess you could tell me all about that, I'm still pretty green on this stuff. The only other vehicle I invested passion and interest in was my 1962 Chrysler Newport 2 door, but I passed that project on to my Dad, he needed something to keep busy on. He has the time and resources I never will to really cherry that car back out, the old family car couldn't be in better hands. Miss that car though...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:07 am

Semaphore signals started with the railroad and were adapted by the trucking industry for semi truck pulling trailers where hand signals (the rule of the day for cars) couldn't be seen. Trucking has always placed the priority on reliable and simple, so I doubt an electrically operated system was produced.
After all, if you have that power, modern flasher turn signals would be simpler and could be placed on the rear of the trailer where they would be more visible, and cheaper to maintain.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:45 am

I hear you, and I know youre right, although I would add also that I have seen film and photos of semaphores in use on loaded grain trucks, flatbeds/stakebeds as well. I just thought as the one I have found has the better part of its body as an electric light that there may have been such a thing as an electrically triggered semaphore…but your observations as well as my research so far seems to suggest otherwise. In the obvious interest of safety,( and probably California state law as well), I will upgrade my truck with the late 1940's era rear turn signals it never had, and another brake light. And- maybe because i'm a sucker for period automobilia and lighting, at some point I'll rig that semaphor on it as well, because at this point I think that would be another really cool detail for point of interest and lend an unexpected touch of period authenticity. I appreciate the input…Thanks.
Previous

Return to K and KB Build-Off