Semaphor Turn-Signal

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:56 am

Semaphor Turn-Signal

Heres one for ya, (I've tried finding information about this looking far and wide myself but without much luck)…
I just acquired a beautiful new-old-stock lighted semaphore turn signal arm, but dont know exactly how they were commonly rigged to operate. I recall seeing some in old movies that seemed to be rigged with plumbing chain, some perhaps with a cable, but to what? A small motor? There's only about 2 inches or so of travel in the cable distance nessisary to raise the arm to the signaling position. I assume the light as well as the movement is triggered by the left turn signal switch? Does anyone here know anything more specific about these things? I dont believe they were in common use for much more than a decade or so (?), and I believe most were fitted with reflectors or jeweled reflectors with later versions having electric light like the one I found. Any old timers remember these in use? I would imagine theres some kind of mention of installation in some 1940's period book or manual somewhere. It's going to be such a cool addition to my '47 KBS-5, I really want to make it work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: Semaphor Turn-Signal

Make your "far and wide " easier. I Googled your semaphore and found lots of information.
I also found installation instructions.
Try Google Search, you might like it.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:31 pm

hmph…well,I have but don't find info on the cable operated type that i'm referring to, i find loads on the volkswagon trafficators, and their wiring diagrams but not the type used on old trucks or for how the cable is operated or even clear pictures of same. Can you refer me to one of those places you found them? My computer is pretty outdated, maybe it's just the limitation of my tech...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:57 pm

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:06 pm

Wow, perfect. Thank you, I appreciate the point in the right direction.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:02 pm

When you use Google Search and you get a response, try clicking on "images" . This is a quick way to go through a bunch of stuff. This is a good way to maybe see something like you are looking for. It is said, "A picture is worth a 1000 words." Where are your pictures?
Attachments
AH OO GAH.jpg
How would a person describe this?

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Wow! Is that a horn???
Thank you, I realize now that the majority of my limitation is outdated software that doesnt allow me to open all the pages I wish to, I'll have that addressed shortly. And I'll figure out how to submit pictures once i have software to downsize them…right now all of my "spare" income is going into this truck, but if the computer tech is limiting progress on the truck then i'll siphon some scratch in that direction.
So I'm not sure if theres any precedent for this, but I'm working with woodworking machinery from the same era as my truck all day long, and it seems to me that there must have been an electrical motorized option for raising the semaphor arm on some trucks somewhere at the time, it seems such a relatively simple thing,--not as "primitive" as a cable drawn with a lever and a hole in the cab, but still in keeping with the commonly accessable tech of the time. After all, there were still semaphor signals on the street at the time that were electrical before traffic lights took over. I'd much rather mount the arm on the box and spare the hole in the cab too, rig some kind of small electrical motor under weather cover to winch the couple inches of cable travel back and forth, have the switch in the cab. Is this totally unheard of? Maybe I should mention that I have a cable drawn dump bed as well…Right now with the exception of the repowering in the late 50's, my truck is entirely original and with 43,000 miles on the odometer, I feel that having the good fortune of such a complete ensemble imposes some responsibility to respect that. I do want to put in my late 50's brown-lipe aux transmission so i can overdrive my speed some, but the roads in northern coastal California dont often exceed 45mph; (before my motor rebuild my top speed was 35, although the speedometer claimed 45). All that said, I respect your opinion, you have any thoughts for me?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:02 pm

Good guess. Yes, it an AH-0OO-GAH original. I have had this tooter for 60 years. It still works. I bought a cheap plastic ah-ooo-gah horn at a local Princess Auto. Without telling my son, I installed it under the hood of his Jeep Wrangler. He called me from his workplace and asked, WTF, Dad?
https://youtu.be/_-5v6FHHCqA old school tooter
https://youtu.be/HzfMln2zr-A modern snowflake tooter. Hey mommy, my panties are too tight.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:35 pm

That is hilarious! I may have to try that one on my youngest son, we're just starting the driving practice these days, he'd laugh about it but would like it! I have a few trumpet style horns of different sizes from the late 30's-early 40's I hope to tune in unison for the Kb5, In case i need to wake the devil on the road!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:26 pm

I have an air compressor in my Ford for the air spring suspension. I installed a Ford air horn under the left fender, close to where the OEM horn was, in the engine compartment. The laws says the vehicle must have an electric horn to act as a back up to the air horn. I have been hording a Pontiac GP electric horn for 50 years. It is called "New York Taxi." So, I installed the Pontiac twin trumpet set under the right front fender. The air has to the louder of the two? I was surprised, but the Pontiac horn is much louder and has attitude. It is all good.
Attachments
horn air.jpg
air
Horns.jpg
electric
HORN NY TAXI.jpg
Electric
Next

Return to K and KB Build-Off