My 1949 KB-1

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: My 1949 KB-1

I thought you may have an interest in the floor. My floor is very wavy, like most from "stuff" being dropped on it. Also, I planned to cut it about an inch in from both sides so I had a flange to work with. Don't know if that would mess you up or not. That would make the width close to 46.5 inches.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:43 pm

Been working on the bed now for a while. I must say this is the first time I've ever worked on single wall construction, not double wall like more recent vehicles. A dent on one side is a corresponding "bump" on the other. More than once I found myself playing ping-pong with a ding that just wouldn't respond to hammer/dolly the way I'd like. Had one spot that was stretched pretty good and had to shrink the metal to stop the "oil canning" flex. Long story short I finally got things back fairly good to straight and was able to shoot some primer.
Attachments
IMG_9574.jpg
IMG_9577.jpg
IMG_9583.jpg
IMG_9586.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:00 pm

I have a B series truck so dont come on this section much, but wish i had come on earlier to follow your build. Absolutely stunning, great job, wish i had the time, money, room and skill to do what you have done. luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:14 am

Thanks Luke. It wasn't all that long ago I was laying on my back on a stone floor replacing a clutch with the car on jackstands. It took a lot of years but my CFO and I finally built my "dream garage" and it's great, I don't take it for granted. As far as skill? I think the jury is still out on that one. Have fun.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:11 pm

Amazing work, Mac! You beat it; and- it looks perfect!
You continue to inspire.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:39 am

Hi looks like your doing a Great job. My son and I are working on a 1947 IHC KB1 Down to bare frame . Some parts are hard to find Did you have a good source ? thanks Andrew

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:38 am

Thanks for the compliments, progress is slow but steady. Parts can be a challenge, no doubt. The parts link here on the forum lists many sources depending on what you need. Google search is invaluable. There is no one-stop parts supplier, unlike Ford or Chevy repop houses, though IH compatible parts can sometimes be found there.While you can find a lot of the things you will need, others are virtually non-existent. Ebay, scrap yards, etc are another alternative. Napa has possibilities, but you need a counterperson who will take the time to research.Until just recently, we had a resident parts-whiz, Scottso, who was phenomenal at finding obsolete numbers and suppliers. He's taking a break for now, we're all hoping he'll return at some point. Many of his posts are still here full of good info. Take some time and read through them, You'll soon get a feel for what's out there. There's a search box somewhere(on the index page I think) that will help find applicable posts. I recommend getting a reprint of the parts and service manuals, they will give you good reference for the right parts for your model, there are many subtle differences. If all else fails , ask a question, someone has been there before. Good luck and welcome!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:59 am

Hi Thanks . I did a 1948 KB7 25 years ago. I know IHC parts are hard to find sometimes. Most stuff i have found or got rebuilt . One good thing is i have a 1948 KB2 as a parts truck ! Cab is rusted out Real bad so it is a good donor. I had the frame Powder coated to match my KB7 red. Going back with Green cab black fenders red Seat ect Thanks again Have to give you a call one day just ask you couple Questions if that ok. Your about 3 hours away Have to check your truck out one day . Andrew

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:17 am

I apologize for the lengthy post about parts, I didn't know your past experience with IH's. Have no problem at all chatting about questions. Feel free to e-mail me to work out logistics. George.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:26 pm

Hi No worries , I have not done a truck in 25 years . The last time i did the truck I used A guy name Pat Walsh . He is so High in prices. Some parts Like Wiper switch , Heater Switch, Fuel Sen dung Unit, Main Bearing and some other parts just Hard to find , Right now waiting for Rear Axle Felt Seal they are hard to find too. Just good to talk to someone that has done a truck lately Thanks Andrew My email is ajhyman@rcn.com
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB Build-Off