My 1949 KB-1

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: My 1949 KB-1

Santa hooked me up with a nice little find on Cl this holiday season. I bought a fire extinguisher that I think fits the project nicely. It even came with the mounting bracket, so I found some time to get it mounted. While I was at it, I dug out another trinket I found on ebay a couple of years ago. Didn't want to bury it behind the seat, so I started looking for a mounting spot and decided to look under the hood, and after much discussion from the "peanut" gallery, opted for a spot on the firewall. A mount was needed so I broke out my shop class training and made one. Too bad I never took shop, I think I would have liked it. Trigonometry never seems to ever help me.
Attachments
IMG_9538.jpg
"Pyrene" vehicle extinguisher
IMG_9540.jpg
shop 101
IMG_9542.jpg
IMG_9546.jpg
IMG_9548.jpg
This should work

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:39 pm

Nice work! I like it .

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:27 am

Nice touch Mac , I think that work would have gotten you in to the advanced learning program , always like seeing what you are up to .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:20 pm

truck is looking awesome. great work.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:26 am

Thanks guys, really had a good time "playing" with those add-ons. Carted the bed to the blaster the other day so I'll be tending to the little things that still need doing while I wait for its return. Pulled the oil pan down and welded the bung for the oil temp gauge, cleaned the pump screen, removed the thin layer of sludge from the bottom, and replaced the dried out gasket. I was pleased with the overall condition of the bottom of the motor; hope it stays that way. Going to replace the fuel tank float, clean up the rear wiring harness installation, etc. Greased all the lube points, only had two fittings that wouldn't take grease, replaced them and now we are all good. I'm sure I will find more to do, it never really ends, and that's ok.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:20 pm

Replaced the float on the sending unit this weekend, '47-'54 Chevy one fits nicely. The only difference I noticed is the mounting groove on the Chevy is on one side, my original was in the center. At $6.00 plus shipping, the price is right. I tweaked the travel limit tabs on the sender to "dial in" the gauge. Now my gauge reads perfectly. I also added a dedicated ground wire to the sender as a little insurance; the copper strips on the tank mounts may be "iffy". Found another goodie in my stash and placed it on the dash.
Attachments
IMG_9549.jpg
IMG_9550.jpg
IMG_9551.jpg
IMG_9553.jpg
Happy New Year

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:31 pm

I picked up my bed from the blaster and now it's time to get back to some bodywork. Not as much as some of you, but enough nonetheless. A couple of spots need some patch panels, and I am 99% sure that I am going to replace the bed floor with some kind of hardwood. Not sure what species yet, have about 500 bd. ft. of cherry socked away for about 20 years now, I may go with that, we'll see. The headboard and tailgate need to be straightened, we'll see how that goes too.
Attachments
IMG_9561.jpg
IMG_9562.jpg
Cardboard box filled with parts caused this
IMG_9563.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:43 pm

Cherry works and if you have had it this many years time to put some to use. Your rear fenders look very good from here. Usually they have stress cracks and a multiple of dings

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:26 am

windigo69 wrote:Cherry works and if you have had it this many years time to put some to use. Your rear fenders look very good from here. Usually they have stress cracks and a multiple of dings

You are right, Windigo, one of the fenders is pretty good, just a few small dings, the other has a small crack about 3/4" long on the wheel opening lip that will need attention though. No rot so it won't take much to fix. Gonna grab a piece of the cherry and run it through the planer and see what it looks like . Had to laugh, my financial adviser reminded me that we got the logs sawed 2 years after we were married,so actually had it for 37 years. Oops. Time flies when you're havin' fun.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:59 pm

The fenders on my 46 have both stress cracks and multiple dents. The truck was used as a stop when backing in the grain wagons for many years.

I'd take a 12" section of bed :-). The front of the bed on my truck is rusted out. I think between the slope of the floor didn't help to drain water when the roof leaked onto the truck.
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB Build-Off