My 1949 KB-1

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:37 am

Re: My 1949 KB-1

On the grill strips , I have a friend that explained how he did somewhat the same , nothing beats a picture , very impressive results . The roller is great , I have a center strip that I think I will try it on . Paint looks great also , persistence always pays off .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:31 pm

Thanks MM, I'm happy with it. Finally got my grill finished, probably have close to 80 hours invested in straightening and polishing. Here's a couple of shots attaching the front clip and the "semi-finished" product.
Attachments
IMG_8457.jpg
IMG_8466.jpg
IMG_8974.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:19 am

Wow !, on the grill and that paint job looks as good as it gets ! I can see a lot of effort / satisfaction goin on there

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:04 am

nice. Hope my 49 KB1 turns out that good.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:15 am

Thanks guys. It's coming along, gettin' the parts off the floor and on the truck frees up room to work, and keeps the juices flowing to keep the project moving forward.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:30 pm

Got a chance to install all the glass except for the windshield..installed all the weatherstrips and gas tank fill tube grommets. I was able to mount the seat, hopefully for the last time. UPS brought my awaited new wiring harness, so it's time to get it installed as well.
Attachments
IMG_9014.jpg
Sure beats the ol' milk crate
IMG_9042.jpg
New harness on left, the old "fire looking for a place to happen" on right

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:58 pm

It was a wonderful day in the neighborhood. Installed the new harness, fuel line, and cooling hoses. Topped off the radiator and put in a few gallons of fuel. The old girl fired off and idled near perfect, and I haven't even replaced the points, plugs and wires yet. I suppose another case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It has been 2 1/2 years since I last had it running, and I never drove it 'cuz there were zero brakes, sooo. . .made a couple of test panic stops and around the block we went. It did everything it was supposed to, and quite well too, considering there's no bed on it yet. Got a ways to go yet, but I 'm beginning to see that light at the end of the tunnel. . .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:35 pm

We are almost there with our project. My drive to the finish line has renewed energy after reading you posts. Your choice of colour combination is not what I would have chosen, BUT, after seeing the colours together, I LIKE IT. Nice job.
Attachments
CONGRADULATIONS.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:28 am

Thanks , Brian. I struggle with picking color combos sometimes. I needed to keep the green as a tribute not only to IH, but to the former owner, who really didn't want the truck rodded out. Wanted something other than black, Ford uses a similar combo on their pick-ups and I kinda liked it. I too scratched my head at first but the more is completed the more I like it. Hey, everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion. No problem here. Just wanted to make it "mine". Probably have close to 20 hours in the wiring, what with soldering, shrink tube, loom, clamps. Neatness matters . I don't have to tell you. Given the relatively simple Kb harness, I can appreciate the time you've invested with all the accessories and what-nots you've incorporated into your build. Rhode Island wiring helped by using all the original codes found in the service manual. Between the schematics they supplied and my own manuals it all worked, I didn't have to use the fire extinguisher once. Rock on.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:56 pm

Looking great!

Where did you get the grommets for the tank filler tube?
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB Build-Off