1948 KB5 Railway Express

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:06 am

Re: 1948 KB5 Railway Express

With very few exceptions, bring an old vehicle back is not a money making enterprise. If that is your reason than don't start. Most of us do it for the love of it. The pride in driving something that isn't "cookie cutter".
I for one, enjoy my trucks and the fact they have their original running gear to boot.
Speaking just for me, I find "body swaps" a turn off. they are neither the donor nor the original. Some rare cases it makes for a vehicle that would otherwise be scrap.
So be proud of what you did, it isn't easy and takes dedication to detail!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:18 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:With very few exceptions, bring an old vehicle back is not a money making enterprise. If that is your reason than don't start. Most of us do it for the love of it. The pride in driving something that isn't "cookie cutter".
I for one, enjoy my trucks and the fact they have their original running gear to boot.
Speaking just for me, I find "body swaps" a turn off. they are neither the donor nor the original. Some rare cases it makes for a vehicle that would otherwise be scrap.
So be proud of what you did, it isn't easy and takes dedication to detail!

I have no regrets with what I did and am real pleased the way it came out and the focus of the save was the historical aspect of what the truck once was. It will be on display where thousands of people will see it and I am sure want to stand by it to get photos. I put together a history on REA, and a little on the truck, and had the history professionally printed on metal signboards that will be set-up for reading for anyone who may want to know more about REA and the truck. So the ultimate goal was to present some historical look-back at a part of an era in railroading to which REA was a main component and an example of the type of delivery trucks they used.

My other point is that if you had to farm out this kind of work, and not be able to do much of it yourself like you and I can, then the investment will put you upside down with regards to what you will see as a return IF selling. When I see these trucks on Ebay or Face Book for 4/5/6 thousand dollars in poor non-running condition, it'll take deep pockets to bring it back to an original or near original condition whether you can do the work yourself, or even more if having it done by a shop. My labor is free, so to speak. A shop that gets $100-$150 an hour (and more) to do restoration work, with very few of them giving firm quotes anymore, the cost can be a shocker if you buy into those car shows that whip out a rusted vehicle in a week or three and then sell it at a big profit to a guy who just happens to be looking for that vehicle. Even the big name auctions we all watch spark false dreams of flipping a rusty bucket and making a killing.

I have been working on cars a long time and have more the heart of a hot rodder with the need for speed. However, I look at a car and like to evaluate the condition/completeness/uniqueness, the price being asked, parts availability, and resale. Been looking at Model A coupes for an "old school" hot rod - late 1950's/early 60's style. There is either high priced incomplete rusty junk or some more reasonably priced complete and original cars. I could easily buy the better cars, but I just can't see tearing apart an original Model A only to use the body/frame, and maybe the front end and sell the rest off. But people do this and I just feel some cars should be kept original and enjoyed. I have a 1955 Packard Constellation 2-Dr Ht - auto leveling suspension/leather interior. Not a lot of them. It has an OK body, but has its share of rust and rot. For what it would take me to "restore" the car, I could buy one with low mileage and be way ahead of the game. I would not be able to recover my investment. There is a difference between rare and desirable. On the other hand, if I build it as a mid-1960's straight axle Gasser drag car, I can get my money out of it due to a lesser investment and the niche era look that is popular among the hot rodder crowd and an easier sell.

But, it is always what one sees as their vision in any old vehicle, how much work they can do if they desire, and how much money they have to invest. Some have bank accounts we can only dream of and if the vehicle had sentimental value, or simply tripped their trigger, then they don't care the cost, they just want it made new again. I am not one of those guys. I am also not so much into "original" as this is hard to do with vehicles that are 50, 60, 70, and 80 years old and NOT a Chevy or Ford - and when most parts are replaced, how much of it is really original anyway? I want something that looks good, body wise, and may not be perfect. Interior/engine/trans is not too important in its original style and I am good with modifications as modifications may be an upgrade to something you can still get parts for reasonably and drive the car without worry if you wear out an original part that you can't get a replacement, so it sits in the garage more than gets driven and enjoyed.

Just my opinion and point of view. Bottom line, it is a hobby I enjoy, not inexpensive, and is a means of using my skills with an end result being something I like and am proud to say I did it (at least in my mind, LOL).

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:37 pm

TOWING DAY 13 AT NEIGHBOURS (2).jpg
I totally understand and agree with everything you posted. I put several thousand hours into my 1940 Ford and I am not finished yet. I am out-of-pocket over $125,000. I have no regrets, except I wish I had put the investment of time and money into an IHC truck.
Attachments
CUMMINS 4BTA REBUILT.jpg
the wood floor box.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....
Previous

Return to K and KB Build-Off