oil filter canister-D-2

Forum designed for the D series and older

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:30 am

Re: oil filter canister-D-2

Clear as mud. I presume those square holes are threaded?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:46 am

Obviously, the holes are threaded and the plug is square where you put a wrench to it. I would have thought the genius mechanic on this site could have deduced that.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:33 pm

You must be referring to CB89.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:28 pm

bedrockjon wrote:there SHOULD be a square plugged hole above the big oil pressure relief nut, that is the pressurized outlet to filter, below the relief valve nut there is another squared plug hole, that is the return, at least that's how it is on a GRD and the motors are very similar,

I have a 1936 C-1 Green Diamond
I put pipe plugs in both of those ports while I got the engine running. My hoses were trashed, and the filter was in the way of getting the starter out to get it going. Now I am going to get some new hoses and install the filter back into the system. Is there any certain size restriction that should be in the lines or just whatever restriction an 1/8" pipe thread has. I ask because I went down the net rabbit hole one night about bypass oil filters. It was mostly about Chevy and Dodges but I don't remember a certain size or if it matters on a GRD. The topic I was searching was about how much oil would flow into the filter and would it starve the bearings?
Any thoughts?
Just a pic of mine to show the two pipe plugs I put in it and I guess the pressure relief valve in the middle.

edit: I haven't figured out posting proper size pics on this forum yet. I will sooner or later.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:13 pm

On the bigger engines, the restriction is in the filter housing itself. I believe, but am not 100% sure the HD/GRD are the same. So all you need is Stratoflex or Aeroquip hose with fittings. Easyest to use a flare on one end for a swivel, NPT on the other for the fixed end.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:14 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:On the bigger engines, the restriction is in the filter housing itself. I believe, but am not 100% sure the HD/GRD are the same. So all you need is Stratoflex or Aeroquip hose with fittings. Easyest to use a flare on one end for a swivel, NPT on the other for the fixed end.

I went to hose place today and got some made up, swivel 1/8" pipe on one end and straight pipe on the other. I should have the filter by next days off.

So I also kinda remember reading about the pressure side going into the bottom, and return out the top to drain back into the pan. Which didn't make a lot of sense. Mine is labeled top is inlet.

[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2bdDTgY]Image[/url]20190103_175846 by Bubba Gump01, on Flickr [/url]

So one I get my filter next week I'll see what happens.
Previous

Return to 1940 and Older