HD motor oil filter

Forum designed for the D series and older

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:57 pm

HD motor oil filter

I have most of the motor completed and reassembled. Hope to be on the test/run stand very soon. This is the HD version motor was not originally equipped with a canister style oil filter (or filter of any kind). I found one that is a reasonable facsimile of what might have been used but I'm not sure of the plumbing. What might it look like and to what ports in the block? Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:52 am

Re: HD motor oil filter

engines of that vintage were not equipped for full flow filters, so if a filter was used it was of the bypass type.
These are plumbed from the main oil gallery and return to the sump. They need to have enough restriction so not to dump all oil pressure back to the sump.
How you plumb is up to you, if you have the pan off, look for a plug in the side of the block that will allow the filter to drain back to the sump, if none are available, you can look for a spot where the casting is thick enough to drill and tap a fitting. The return also can be to the lifter cover.
Supply can come from any tap in the main oil gallery.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:53 pm

CB,
Thank you. I figured it was probably much like my 1955 Chevy 265 (stand alone canister filter) but I wanted to check for sure. Sorting out the amount of restriction could prove interesting.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:58 pm

Most bypass filters have the restriction built in, and are sized by the size engine they go on. I know that AC used to make a sealed bypass with 1/8 npt fittings in both ends.
If your not going with something like the GRD used, most filter mfg make spin on base for bypass filters. Choose one of the smaller bases to use.
Baldwin, Wix (Napa) AC and others all have good info in the paper catalogs if you can lay your hands on one.
Baldwin OB1305 base will take a B50, B164 or BT341 spin on filter ( I think the BT341 is for a trans filter)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:33 pm

If this were my situation, I would like to try a spin-on modern filter system. I am sure it will operate just fine with the proper restriction. I would be inclined to add the flow restriction on the pressure side at the block connection. Something as simple as a ball valve will work and be adjustable.
There is a spin-on filter kit for old Fords. This conversion takes the search out of trying to find the 70 year old filter media.
Attachments
spin on filter modification.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:41 pm

My canister states it is a Walker RC-30. It happens to have a bracket that perfectly matches the mount pattern on the block. From pictures I could find, the only difference, visually, was the caps securing design. The more correct style seems to show a rounded over shaft style with a cross tee pin for tightening. Mine has an actual hex bolt head. Inlet port is on the side just down from the cap and the outlet is on the bottom. What we used to call the old toilet paper roll canister filter.

And it appears that the Napa filter, part number Fil1011 is still available. If all else is correct.

Return to 1940 and Older