Paint code

Forum designed for the D series and older

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:07 pm

Paint code

Would anyone have the paint code for the red used on the 1926 International Trucks?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:22 pm

Re: Paint code

Princess Auto sell an American Made paint in the Old IHC Colour. I bought a 3.78 liter can.
Princess sole the VALSPAR paint. The colour you may be looking for is 4432-01 called INTERNATIONAL RED
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Looks like they only sell spray cans here.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:32 pm

The international dealer here only carries the 1960 and up International red colours. I am looking more to the original McCormick red used .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Try AMAZON. https://www.amazon.ca/Valspar-4432-01-I ... B000LNV5N2
I just checkes our local Princess Auto and I get the impression Valspar is not on their inventory, now. When I bought my IH red there was lots of stock. When id GOOGLED for Valspar International red. LOWES was an option.
The engines are my International Harvester "LB"
Attachments
AIR FILTER BODY.jpg
IHC LB Billet crank cover.jpg
IHC LB billet covers 2.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:17 pm

I have found a little information on the paint codes, not sure it its correct.
I found that the Red was called Flambeau red.
The code shown for DuPont is 44044 and the PPG is 70138 in either single stage or base clear.

I have also found 1937 to 1949 that PPG 70019 or DuPont 7410 as well as a possible Ditzler PPG 70138.

Not sure of the correct code. I would like to put a base clear on instead of an enamel paint.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:28 pm

The base /clear program give a finish like no other. The surface preparation has to be perfect. Any imperfections and the base/clear will make them visible like no other paint.
I am including a few pictures of the b/c paint on my 1940 Ford. The paint is almost too perfect for a 78 year old car. It took me 2.8 seconds to get used to the finish. I am not a patina person in any way. I paid just under $25,000 to have the Ford look this good. ($24,749.03)
I painted the BBS wheel that are on the Ford and I used a rattle-can RUSTOLEUM and got the good finish I wanted. The benefit of a rattle-can paint is paint chips can be repaired economically and at home. I will say, the depth of the reflection is not there with a rattle-can finish. This is perfect for what I wanted on wheels. I want a cream/liquid look without the depth.
Attachments
BBS 1.jpg
BBS ON THE WELD POSITIONER.jpg
hood like new 1.jpg
boot lid.jpg
40 FORD ROOF (2).jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:35 pm

I ok with imperfections, they would have come out from the factory like that. All my steel is in good shape, basicly just blasted off the old paint. The base clear will keep the shine longer than the enamil paints.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:45 pm

I was just told that red and white colours are the most difficult to match. I was also told these colours can vary within the same paint code when applied if the temperature or humidity changes from hour to hour. The painter also mentioned that pressure at the gun will make a big difference, also. He suggested that you make a note of the temperature, humidity and other specifics at the time of application.
Sadly, the excellent body and paint guy I like has taken early retirement, at 50.
MY daughter is in a big panic about finding another body and paint guy for her L110 Shorty. She wants to have an OEM IHC colour on her truck. I think we are going to go with a two tone Yuma Cream white and Gulfstream light blue.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=internat ... tIRgYPr0DM:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:49 pm

brighad wrote:I ok with imperfections, they would have come out from the factory like that. All my steel is in good shape, basicly just blasted off the old paint. The base clear will keep the shine longer than the enamil paints.

I agree 100% on the longevity of the shine. I did not clear my R120 and in five years the paint went dullish and would not hold a polish. The run-off water when I washed the truck looked like a health drink. The PPG paint held really well and was tough.
IH were not very good a original paint. I have had 14 IH pickups and some of them were panted after assembly. There was bare metal with a little overspray between the box and cab. My friend worked for IHC Canada and he suggested it was common for the factory to take truck out of the finished/storage yard and drive the trucks into the paint shop and have a colour change to fill an order. I bought one very low mileage R120. It had been in storage for 50 years and at $250 I thought it was a good deal. The original colour was IHC Cascade light blue where the "sun don't shine" and white fade in the light.. My "R" crewcab had a dealer colour change from what I think might have been IH Gulfstream to an IH Canyon red. A few decades in the high mountain sunshine and the cab is mostly pink.
Are we having fun yet? It is too early for me to try and settle on a colour for the crewcab. I will save that stress for much later. I can tell you, for sure, the colour will not be green.
Attachments
a83fa344-44dc-42d3-9155-d19fc8b83e1d.jpg
a83fa344-44dc-42d3-9155-d19fc8b83e1d.jpg (24.58 KiB) Viewed 4617 times
OUR R 120 4X4.jpg

Return to 1940 and Older