10" Clutch replacement

Forum designed for the D series and older

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:21 pm

10" Clutch replacement

I searched to forums and didn't find anything. I thought I'd ask here before I try an re-invent the wheel, so to speak. My Clutch is really if'ie (it's toast). Furry animals made their home in it decades ago, from the looks of it. I did managed to get it apart and only found one broken spring. But the urine/rust damage is very extensive and I'm not to sure it would machine out (very very pitted). A couple of the spring perches are worn down on one side with one having the top cap broken off. My questions is: Has anyone found a more current version clutch to adapt to these trucks? My thinking is. Since no replacements are available. Any 10" three finger clutch (preferably a truck) similar in height should be able to be adapted to my flywheel. I have the ability to drill a new bolt pattern on my flywheel for the mount points using my bridgeport and dro. Or, I could use the other entire flywheel/clutch setup that I have from a C-1, which is in pretty fair, usable shape. I'm trying to not lean that direction yet, without exploring all options. I know my truck will never see heavy service, but I do have the entire setup on hand. The C-1 is a lighter and smaller in diameter (9") setup for pick-ups. The motors are the same but the design of the bell housing mount points were different and the transmissions are different. My bet is it should work fine for the light use my truck will ever see. Or.....

As an example only. I found this one and I just get the feeling that as long as the overall height and the distance and ratio related to the clutch arms are close. It should be adaptable. The pressure could be changed if needed by changing spring rates, and that just leaves you with the bolt pattern which we addressed.

This is just an example. I would need to do more research and get some good measurements. What are your thoughts? Thanks for helping bring this old truck back to life.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Specialty ... 1438.l2649

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:00 am

Re: 10" Clutch replacement

could you post a picture of your old clutch

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:04 am

I put two pictures up in the wordpress in the motor build thread. I'm not that tech suave picture guy. Took me 4 hours the other day to get my gopro updated and working again. Where are my kids when I need them?

I've found two examples that have promise. One for a 36 desoto and another for a M37 dodge truck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:46 pm

I don't know details of your truck, but wouldn't it be easier to just have yours rebuilt?

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:10 pm

I added a couple more pictures to outline the damage a little better, and yes, I would love easier for a change. I will have it professionally looked at but I'm highly doubtful for warm fuzzes on this one. Take a look at the new pictures and weigh in. I was shocked to actually disassemble it with out major consternation.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:39 pm

I would take it to a good old clutch shop that does trucks and has been around for a while. I once brought in a disk from an obscure car (Peugeot 504) and just by glancing at it the guy ID'd it and had one on the shelf!
That cover may or may not be useable, but they will know if it was used elsewhere or if there is a bolt on replacement.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:01 am

I have an 11" clutch with a flywheel to match out of a kB 6 ,,, might work ? Flywheel measures 16", others will probably have more information

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:32 am

Here are some pictures , I can measure the height if you need it
Attachments
KIMG0098.JPG
KIMG0097.JPG
KIMG0096.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:54 am

My bet is that it's a bolt on

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:21 am

Just a thought. See if you can get the pressure plate measurements for a late 60"s early 70's 10 or 10.5" clutch used on Dodge 225 6 cyl. The bolt pattern look similar.
The 11" on the BLD has 6 bolts grouped together in a tri star pattern and doubt it would be bolt on to the one he has.
Next

Return to 1940 and Older