10" Clutch replacement

Forum designed for the D series and older

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:58 pm

Re: 10" Clutch replacement

manicmechanic wrote:I have an 11" clutch with a flywheel to match out of a kB 6 ,,, might work ? Flywheel measures 16", others will probably have more information

I do appreciate your assistance on this. It is pretty much the last piece of the puzzle (I think) for this old girl. However, my flywheel measures only 13.250" across and the widest part of the bell housing is only 13.750". Thank you for checking.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:14 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:Just a thought. See if you can get the pressure plate measurements for a late 60"s early 70's 10 or 10.5" clutch used on Dodge 225 6 cyl. The bolt pattern look similar.
The 11" on the BLD has 6 bolts grouped together in a tri star pattern and doubt it would be bolt on to the one he has.

Thanks. This is why I was considering the Desoto or the M-37 from the dodge truck. The guy with the desoto got back with me but the housing 3" with the fingers at 2.5". The finger height is correct and I'm fairly confident there is clearance in the bell housing for the extra 1/2" height. So it's on the list as an option. And you are correct on the 11". I only have a maximum of 13.750 width clearance for the flywheel inside the housing and my flywheel is 13.250 and can't be changed. Otherwise we have starter issues.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:29 pm

I was hoping you would see this corn binder 89 , I wonder if a parts book would be any help?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:40 pm

From what little I can glean from the internet, there aren't many 10" Borg and Beck style clutches. 9 1/8 10, 10.5 and 11
The 10 was a heavy duty option for the 9 1/8 on the slant 6. the disk is all wrong, but the cover might be right.
The early Dodge truck and DeSoto might be your closest.
Strange, with all the stuff on the .net, there is little in the way of tech info on clutches, drawing and the like.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:59 pm

My Motors manual from 1940 shows both Dodge and DeSoto using a 10"x 6" or 10"x7" lining all 1/8" thickness (double that for each face and add in the metal thickness. All Borg and Beck style.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:23 pm

Thought I'd let everybody know that assisted with the clutch issues. They are sorted! Made the call to Ott's (now Fleet-Pride) and contacted a guy that was very familiar with my clutch issues. I sent him a couple of pictures and in about 10 mins had return pictures of exactly what we had and needed. For information. It is a Rockford clutch. I had been told "Rockwell". Big difference. Anyway, Dropped it off on a Friday and had it back on Wednesday. New springs, surfaced, clutch relined, and the flywheel trued/sufaced. Back in business. Yeah!!!!

Also, the motor rebuild is on track and moving forward nicely. Daughter kept twisting my arm until I relented and we made out first video covering valve guides and cam install. We had to bust it up in to five (5) parts to fit on youtube time requirements. Take a look at them at "1936 International Flathead motor rebuild" and see what you think.

Thanks again for all those that keep throwing the inputs my way. You have helped to keep this project moving forward. Thank you.
Previous

Return to 1940 and Older