C-30 Side Mirror

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:16 pm

C-30 Side Mirror

Does anyone have the dimensions and the curves/radius for the tube that comes out the side of the roof of the cab on a C-30 that holds the side mirror on the drivers side of the truck? I would like to make one for my truck rather then just put a mirror on the hinge or a clamp on one. Any help would be great.
Attachments
100_1211.png
The mirror like this

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:59 pm

Re: C-30 Side Mirror

Hang on I'll see if I can get you what you need again. There is one for sale on ebay for way to much. Also, you should know that there are very specific mount dimensions inside the cab. Do you have those?

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Let's give this a try. But remember, I'm not an engineer and I'm take measurements off an 80+ year old part that probably hit a tree or two within its lifetime. Let's start with the overall length end to end. The entire thing is 54 inches measured on the CL of each curve. The last inch is crushed in a half moon shape at both points, at the end of the tube and at the crush point where the mirror mounts. This flat area creates the hole point for the mirror post. It is not a flat crush straight across the tubing. Starting at the cab end anchor point. The first bend starts at 25.5 inches and carries through to 28 inches and is 60*, so center of the bend would be 26.75 inches. Second bend is on plane and starts at 42 inches and carries through to around 46.5 inches, so center of bend should be 44.125 inches and holds right at an 80* bend. The last bent is 90* on plane to the first two bends. it starts at 49 inches and carries through to around 51.5 inches and is an 80* bend. There is actually an additional slight bend in mine at around 33.125 inches but I think it might be an incident bend because it doesn't appear to be a smooth transitional bend, it's a little wonkie between the first bend and this slight bend. Material width is 3/4 inch pipe/tubing with a .125 wall thickness.

I had my math teacher wife read this and she was able to figure it out. So I hope this works for you. If not, let me know, and I'll try a different approach. I'll send you an address so you can mail me one to test out for you ;)

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:09 pm

In addition. I took out that slight bend and I'm still convinced that it didn't belong there. I will make one adjustment to the on plane statement above. If you take and bend this as outlined and set the finished product upside down on the floor so that the mirror arm is pointing to the sky. Then push on the second bend point towards the floor. It will raise the very end of the cab mount point 1.75 inches off the floor. So when the mirror and arm is held in correct orientation. There is a slight downward angle on the 25.5 inch section to make up for the cab mount points. Thus letting the arm outside the cab appear level with the ground. I can measure that first compound angle bend if you need but I'm confident it all makes sense, at least in my head. Good Luck.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:01 pm

Thanks I will give it a shot when I get a chance did you happen to get the email I sent you on the 14 of July with the PDF in it if you could look at them and let me know if they look right as far as the seat goes I will figure out a way to put them on the site here for others that may needed them.

Return to 1940 and Older