1936 C1 frame twist

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:33 am

1936 C1 frame twist

This a question for someone who has built one of these trucks. I am setting up the suspension and have the frame mounted on two engine stands as a frame rotisserie. The frame has a good bit of twist in the long direction. By locking the front so it can't rotate I can rotate the rear and remove the twist or at least most of it indicating that the frame is quite flexible. I want to get the twist out. The crossmembers are solidly fastened and I cannot detect any slippage at the factory rivets. I am going to at least partially box the frame rails to at least past the transmission crossmember. If I twist the frame straight and hold it in that condition as I add the boxing plates do you think it will stay straight? I am assuming that boxing the frame rails will stiffen them and prevent the flexing. I have never done this before so I need advice from someone who has. Thank you. I should add that when I had the frame upright and sitting on the rear suspension and jack stands at the very front it did not have much if any twist checked with a level at the rear and at the front crossmember. The front frame arms are not perfect due to a wreck many years ago before I go the truck but it appears to have been straightened by a frame shop; i.e., they did a good job.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:27 pm

Re: 1936 C1 frame twist

Do not box the frame. It is very likely the frame will be destroyed with unintended heating and the metallurgy will change and not for the better.
I do not know what your welding skill level is, but I think it is safe to assume you are not a professional since you asked this frame welding question. Here is an example of welding doomed to fail. It was done by an amateur on this forum. This sort of welding is only a little stronger than bath-tub calking.
If you are able to twist the frame by hand, it is very unlikely the twist in the frame will have any affect on the operation of the truck. Old IHC frames flex. The flex was almost eliminated with the heavier frames used in one ton and larger capacity trucks.
It is likely IHC built some anti-twist into the frame to help with the torque twist the OEM mediocre engine and low gearing could exert on the frame.
I bought a heavier IHC frame from an R150 for the much increased rigidity in the frame. This frame is over 20 feet long. and has almost zero flex, although, it should flex under load.
Attachments
R150 FRAME 3.jpg
R150 FRAME 2.jpg
R150 FRAME 1.jpg
BIRD SHIT WELDING FOR M2 IFS.jpg
Bird $hit welding
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:54 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply but I said I had not boxed a frame before. I did not say I did not know how to weld. I know what can go wrong and how to prevent that from happening. I am looking for input from someone who has done this on a 1936 C1.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:44 pm

It didn't take long for you to go all jerk. Go ahead and weld your frame. I do not give a XXXX. I tried to give you some good information based on training and experience. I will not be returning to this thread.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:08 pm

Wow .......

Old truck frames were designed to flex. The C1 frames was not designed for high powered engines.
My view is that if you want a stiff frame that can handle a bigger engine, the best thing to do is build a frame from scratch. It would be designed to fit your needs and it would be safe.
The quality of steel used back in the 30's is different from today. I would be careful trying to modify the frame.

That's just my opinion.

What is your ultimate goal for your C1 ??

Tony

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:12 pm

Boxing of frames has been done for years and years in an attempt to do exactly what your are trying to accomplish. Your truck, so seek your own absolution for the end result. I can tell you that flex was designed in to the original vehicle. That's why (at least my series truck) my cab is not actually bolted to the frame. There are springs at the top and bottom of the mount points to allow the frame to flex contrary to the cab if needed. I would recommend that you keep in mind your audience when you pose questions. If you come to an old antique truck forum and ask how should I completely change a particular structure of an original design. You are bound to meet resistance and get the perspective of people who have seen cobbled up messes . If you ask how can I make use of something to keep my old truck running. Lots of helpful advise. So my lots of helpful advise would be to seek out a hot rod forum and pose your question. You may like the answer you seek.

Return to 1940 and Older