Serious Opinions

Forum designed for the D series and older

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue May 29, 2018 11:55 am

Serious Opinions

I'll do a write up and give the long story at wordpress. But not bother everyone with the long version here. In short. My trucks rear brake shoes came apart (probably why it was parked and sold). It warped the lining mounting face in both directions. I came up with a jig to straighten them. I'd say to within .020" across it's plane. But it's not perfect. What I'd like to do is is mix up a batch of JBW and spread a thin layer (like a skim coat) between the lining and the shoe to fill in these small voids and then rivet it together as original.

1. Am I over thinking this? (it's my safety first brain)
2. I've researched this and have found reference to people using JBW only to just bond the linings, no rivets at all, with excellent results (but again safety first)
3. New or replacement shoes are not available for a 36 C-30(at least everywhere I called)
4. Is there another option I'm overlooking?
5. The bonding glue available doesn't appear to be a good option with the void issue (maybe I'm wrong).
6. Should they just be assembled the way they are as original with rivets and call it good?

Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 29, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Serious Opinions

2 part high temp proof epoxy,

JB weld is old school, technology has passed their 40+ yr old formula in the dust
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue May 29, 2018 1:14 pm

BRJ,
Thank you for the reply. Something along these lines? MG Chemicals 832HT High Temperature Epoxy

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 29, 2018 5:45 pm

I use a product called LAB METAL . Lab Metal is available in a high temperature. LM looks like a gray putty .
I'm not saying this is any better than the other suggestions, this may be an option for you.
I don't like gothe idea of what you are going to do. Let us know how it works out for you.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:10 am

Couldn't bring myself to do it. Went back and caressed the little beasts back into almost perfect shape. No skim coat. Arced them in and they fit just like new. I promise, I'll get the full report up soon. Just need to preload and set bearing and brake shoe spec's now that she is back under and rejoined to the frame. Mount some tires and we will be a rolling chassis again.

Return to 1940 and Older