1934 C 30 Stuck Rear Drum

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat May 05, 2018 3:57 pm

1934 C 30 Stuck Rear Drum

All, I am working on a 1934 C30 IHC and the passenger side rear wheel drum would not turn. I disconnected the wire brake cable from the bar that goes between frame rails and turns when brake is applied. I assumed it was holding brake against drum. Well no luck I tried some heat on drum, tapping drum, etc. Then I loosened the nuts that hold the brake actuator inside the drum and tapped on it, then I removed axle and loosened the large 3.25" nut that holds the axle seal, finally I removed the two smaller bolts that hold the brake cable to the backing plate. Now wheel turns good, a little noisy but as I don't think wheel has moved in 30 plus years, I am very happy. Just wanted to share my experience because my search on forums did not yield as much, I did read about some that have dragged truck down road and that frees it up but I think my issue was the brake cable would not slide in the brake housing and until I loosened assembly on backing plate the brake was doing its job of holding the drum.

I hope to use new drivetrain; engine, transmission, and driveshaft but keep wheels including dual wheels on rear. I would love any advice or help on how to upgrade front suspension and add disc brakes yet keep original wheels, they are nice 6 spoke metal things with split rims. I found great truck wheel shop here in town that is very comfortable handling the dangerous split rims.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 05, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: 1934 C 30 Stuck Rear Drum

Spokes are lock ring wheels not split rims,
You've got a real dilemma, if you change the drivetrain, the mechanical brakes will not be up to higher speeds, I'd look for axles out of a later D or K with hyd brakes. It will look right under the C but have better braking.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun May 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Thank you.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed May 09, 2018 3:40 am

Actually there are C-30's out there with juice brake also. I have a 36.

Return to 1940 and Older