D-15 Hood Alignment

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:42 pm

D-15 Hood Alignment

I have a 1938 D-15 that is beautifully restored but the hood side flaps don't align well with the radiator shell trim and cab raised trim lines. They actually line up but don't lay flat with them and thus stick out from the body at that hinge point. Any idea what you do to adjust this? Many thanks... Dan

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Re: D-15 Hood Alignment

I have a 1940 Ford. The Ford has a similar hood to body and related panels configuration. Ford assembly strongly suggests aligning the hood to the cowl first. After the hood meets and cowl perfectly, the remaining sheetmetal should be installed to match the hood.
I followed the Ford assembly suggestion and the sheetmetal fit on my Ford is good.
The running boards follow the front fender installation and this dictates where the rear fenders will fit.
I do not think you should remove a bunch of sheetmetal and start over. Maybe loosening all of the fasteners will be enough. First, fit the hood to the cowl then move to the next panel. I used a padded motorcycle lift jack to support and hold pieces in place while the bolts were tightened.
This should take about a day if you are working alone and double that amount of time if you have someone helping who thinks they know a better way.
Attachments
DOOR ALIGNMENT IS IMPORTANT.jpg
perfect crack alignment is correct
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 01, 2018 3:18 pm

Re: D-15 Hood Alignment

The butterfly hood starts to flatten out a bit from opening a million times,

You can Kind of flex the curve back in upper section, but it's tricky to do without kinking,

Like Nikki said you have to kind of fit grill section and hood at the same time, And that is only if your cab mounts aren't flattened to nothing,

Start with cab mounts work forward, lots of protective tape if you have a nice paint job,

Remember these weren't perfect from the factory even,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to 1940 and Older