1936 C1

Forum designed for the D series and older

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:13 am

Re: 1936 C1

As you probably know, the IHC C-1 is the only International pickup that everyone agrees is beautiful. Even the snobby "Fords only" guys.
Yours is in remarkable shape as evidenced by the tailgate, rear fenders, grille.
The "bodywork bandits" are out in full force. I have no idea how these guys sleep at night. Straight-up THUGS they are.
I'm in the minority on this Forum. I deeply appreciate patina and originality over shine. Unfortunately, my C-1 was prepped for Big Block Chevy and disassembled. All patina and originality is gone. I think my C-1 is as nice as yours, it's just scattered over half an acre. :)
I've been asked by everyone who knows me and cars why I don't build mine. Maybe it's time!
Yes, you are an inspiration.
As far as lungs...oh my goodness. I have asthma and chronic bronchitis. I wear a dust mask as soon as I walk outside or pay for it, later. Central CA and CA overall has the worst air quality in the Nation.
Best of luck and please show us your projects.
I "collect" C Series stuff. I didn't mean to. Imagine the cab of your pickup in PIECES and then assembled at the factory. That's how the early C Series was: ROOF, BACK w/window opening, CAB CORNERS, DOORS, COWL, TWO silly "legs" that bolt to the cowl and become the "A" pillars.
The early C doors were in pieces, also. LOTS of wood structure holding everything together.
I have two of these cabs in pieces. I had to pay and pay for everything. Sorry I can't just give you what you need. I would be willing to sell some parts. However, like I said, you have a later production C Series cab with the "least" wood in it. My cab panels would then become patch panels for you?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:27 am

A typical "Monson, CA view" .
Attachments
image.jpg

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:53 am

I didn't know this conversation had gone to a second page, the hazards of age and a being a rookie.
When putting on your dust mask, think of this - the average flu germ is 2.5 micrometers and each micrometer is 0.000039 ths of an inch or 39 one millionths of an inch - always made me want to hold my breath whenever someone coughed in a room and run for the exit - and I do.
About eleven years ago when I was healthier, I flew down to Florida to pick up a little Volkswagen for my daughter's graduation. Climbing the mountains into California, you come out on the other side where up and straight ahead was a beautiful blue, down in the valley, which stretched to the coast, was a layer of cloud - the problem was, the cloud wasn't what it appeared to be, it was just how polluted the air was and that is what you breathe every day. Whenever I hear Californians complain about regulations on air restrictions, my thought is to have them take the same drive so they can see the soup they breathe every day, I can't imagine it has gotten any better over that period of time.
An idea for you is to take a piece of your truck, have it media blasted, treat it with por-15 or whatever other preservative you prefer and hopefully that gives you the incentive you need to get started on your truck. I got lucky, a friend left me some Western Maple which he had stored for years, I intend to use that for the few pieces I need for the truck. Other ideas were to have a few kiln dried pieces of whatever wood, cut them to fit and cover them with fibreglas like they used to do with the stringers in older fibreglas boats. The other idea, which I haven't given up on, is to take what is left to a 3D printer and print out the pieces that are needed.
You have saved me some time and brought my attention to some difference I hadn't noticed before. I was looking at the piece leaning against the fence and realized that your 34 and 35 were stamped different than my 36. With yours, the seams go north and south, and if you look at the pictures of my 36, the seam, which is the roof, goes east and west, that limits what I can use from other vehicles. The only thing I could use off that piece, would be the bottom 8 inches off each corner and I don't think you want to do that. If you have an interest and don't charge me as much as Stormy Daniels, the corner on that piece look good enough to make a mold out of using styrofoam or a few pieces of plywood cut to fit and glued together to make a mold. Just a thought.
My other projects; it would be nice if my ambition matched my pension - my vehicles, like the house, still aren't finished, but; we forge ahead.
The only other thing you might help with, is the mechanism used to hold the spare in place, if you have a spare reasonably priced.
Thanks much
David
Attachments
65DSCN1218.jpg
65DSCN1217.jpg
I drive this one daily, it is all pretty well original and yes, it is an original stake truck with a 305 V6
61DSCN1220.jpg
61DSCN1214.jpg
Wanted this one for cruising
46001.jpg
46007.jpg
I do like this truck, has the original flathead and transmission, both rebuilt
Previous

Return to 1940 and Older