FAB-241 and FAC-241

Forum designed for the D series and older

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:46 am

FAB-241 and FAC-241

I have a 1938 D35 with what I believe is a FAB-241 engine. It looks like later they made an FAC-241 for the KB series. My question is whether any of the part are interchangeable. I have a chance to buy a KB6 real cheap that will likely go to scrap if I don't buy it and wanted to know if there is anything I could use. The engine looks very similar.

Another question is whether the D30 came with an FAB 241 or 232?

Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:56 am

Re: FAB-241 and FAC-241

The FAx series is the forerunner to the BLD series. They are in most part interchangeable as a whole engine. An engine from a K series will fit in place of the earlyer FAx engines.
The FAx series is a wet liner engine where as the BLD is dry lined. Early FAx engines used a gear driven generator and the distributor was on the back of the generator It was gear driven above the cam gear, with the fuel pump across the block on the right side of the engine, where the generator is on the later engines. The wet liner engines have no core plugs, so it is a dead give-a-way that you are dealing with an FAx and not a BLD which does have core plugs.
There should be little problem dropping a BLD in place of an FAx or visa-versa.
I don't remember the exact displacements of the FAx series but I think the smallest was 207, or close to that, then 226 (?) and 241 and 259.
Most K series had BLD's with only the 1st K's getting the FAC engine (1940, and early 1941)
It doesn't matter much as they are almost identical, the main difference being what was used for cyl liners.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:40 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply. Some of this can get confusing based on some of the online information as many of them show specific models in specific series when it seems that there are many cases of the engine models spanning various series depending on the year.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:52 pm

I don't know much about the FAx series, but the basic design remained until the late 60's BD 308. IHC designed two inline 6's family in the late 20's early 30's One became the medium six FAx and the other became the big 6 FBx, both lines lasted into the late 60's. They also were used in Ag and powerunits.
I have read that some early FAx could be fitted with a mag in place of the genny/dist set-up but never even seen a pic of one so equipped.
Look on the block between where #1 and #2 cyl, near the head parting surface, where, on the left side of the engine for a boss where the engine family, displacement and serial number will be STAMPED.
Will start with the engine family FAx, followed by displacement 2xx, and then the serial number., so will look like FAC259xxxxxx

Return to 1940 and Older