1936 C1 - IFS

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:34 pm

1936 C1 - IFS

Has anyone put a IFS in a 1934-1937 C1? Pretty much all the IFS kits I see have spring perches welded on top of the frame which would prevent the fenders from being bolted on. Also most of the IFS kits have the rack and pinion steering mounted to the rear of the crossmember which would interfere with the engine. Any leads would be appreciated.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:41 pm

Re: 1936 C1 - IFS

Yes, it's tough.
I bought a C-1 project with MII on it...that's how I got it! Front Fenders won't fit.
There are some expensive thin-fender IFS out there. Probably originally for 1930s Fords?
I tried to adapt 1990s Firebird...NOPE. I need a LOW top control arm...hmmm.
I'll be following your search! Best of luck!
BTW, I cut the MII front IFS off the C-1 and it perfectly fit my D-2.
Last edited by Monsonmotors on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Or, you could stick with the original, and enjoy it as is! I drive straight axle trucks all week!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:39 pm

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/bolt-on-c10-ifs/
or
https://totalcostinvolved.com/products/ ... uring-ifs/
This on and the same IFS. I think this system looks easy to install. I like the bolt in over the weld in kits. Most persons do not have the knowledge or equipment to weld and IFS into and OLD IHC frame. I think if a person called TCI and gave then some frame dimensions, TCI would be able to make some adjustments for that person.
My other favorite way to get better brakes and a modern front axle is convert the truck to 4X4. Your truck would be a perfect candidate for a set of DANA 44 axles. This is little more than a simple bolt in.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:49 pm

I love your 4x4 idea, Nikki!
CB, an old I beam front axle fits best, no doubt about it!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:48 pm

It looks like Paul Horton's Welder Series makes a Model A kit that is sold by Classic Rods & More that might work. If it will work it will not interfere with the fenders. It might require custom steering arms to get the geometry correct for the 126" wheel base on the truck. I don't have a lot of the original parts like the engine and drive train so restoration is really not an option so I will be building it into a resto-rod and I want to upgrade the suspension. A softer suspension than original seems like a smart thing to do as the fenders on these things could stand less stress so they don't tear up again.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:55 pm

I hear you on the fenders. They take a beating.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:33 pm

I guess I will have to give Eaton Springs some business. One of my front springs has a bad main spring. I would not think it good to only replace one 80 year old spring so I will have to have 2 made. What I am not sure about is what spring rate to ask them to build. I don't have the original engine and transmission so I am using a SBC and a tremec transmission. I would not expect the weight of these to be a lot different than the original engine and transmission. I want the springing to be softer than the original though as this will be a resto-rod and not a working truck. I bought this truck in 1980 and planned on getting it ready to drive to the Street Rod Nationals in 1981 but the weather in Austin slowed me down and then I got too busy at work to spend time on the project. I thought i would wait until I retired and finish it up. Well I retired 16 years ago and have done little on the truck but I am going to get going on it again.

Return to 1940 and Older