1936 IH C-30 Tires?

Forum designed for the D series and older

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Re: 1936 IH C-30 Tires?

ibesq--whoa, thx for the offer! I'll check craigslist in greater seattle and see if anything turns up...

CB89--you are right, the metal is straight and a street rod is for kids. I had no idea rims became an axle problem, so thx much for the info. Similarly, the 4 rolling tires is exactly what we need to do, and it had not occurred to me.

You guys are something else. Gracias I am a retired geologist trying to turn car guy but it is a difficult transition. Our last project was a 41 plymouth woodie barn find. It was in a heap in northern Idaho when I found it, but we got it put together, running and driving, then sold it to a guy in FL who is currently doing a total restore. On that vehicle you had to be a carpenter. It was a beautiful car, but I like this one better.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:28 pm

With spoke wheels, the hub is the wheel and the tire is on the rim only. On disk wheels the hub is just that, and the wheel bolts to the hub. the wheel is a rim and a disk welded to eachother and are a unit. So with spoke wheels the rim is the only part the comes off without major dis-assembly. While 20" spokes are common, the narrow width of the spoke and rims used in the early years, mean only narrow rims and tires can be fitted.
The only way around this is to change the complete axle, with modern hubs and wheels.
If your rims are in fair to good shape, keeping it stock is likely the easyest and cheapest option, but it does limit you options on tires, and you can't go to larger tires to gain road speed.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:32 pm

My suggestion is to buy used tires or perhaps rims with the tires mounted. Not found everywhere but I think better than buying $1000 worth of tires for a truck that is rarely driven.
I transplanted newer IHC one ton axles and IHC 304 V-8 in my 1930s IHC D-30 and got a DRIVER.
Previous

Return to 1940 and Older