Don't care if you work for the Queen

Forum designed for the D series and older

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:02 pm

Don't care if you work for the Queen

So I thought my project was dead today. Finally yarded the rear axle apart to prep it for paint, redo the brake shoes, check the bearings and the lot. Lo and behold the wheel cylinder are shot. The brake shoes have self destructed, the inner axle nuts look like they have been chewed up by a beaver with a brand new set of teeth and the wheel cylinder rubbers are softer than my grandma's titties at the first come up of spring. Off to the part mongers. After several phone calls, wheel cylinders are located. But guess what? They wont sell them to me. To many problems with on-line sales the boss says, burnt one to many times. Don't care what your pedigree or your references are. So I call back the guy that referred me to them in the first place, thinking, he probably also does business with them and ask if I can get them that way. Very Very Nice guy (I'll tell you who and where he is after I have the parts in my hands). At least it looks like one problem solved. Bearing and races are in top notch shape. I have new shoe material on hand for replacement. Looks like I just have to hunt up a set of axle nuts 2-1/4 I.D. 3-1/4 O.D and a 12 tpi count and the locks and we'll be good to go. Or i'll just have to make new ones. All the felt seals look like a challenge to find also. Sure wish someone would have figured out modern replacements and done a story here about it. I've also finished up powder coating and installing the new seat support pans and metal sill runners. I just updated the last Wordpress posting titled "Pre-Stretch" instead of doing a whole nother post. Next is the lower seat frame. Repair some spring damage and turn the wife loose on the leather work. Yippie!

So the cliff notes are.
1) New picture posted at wordpress under "Pre-Stretch"
2) Looking for rear axle parts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:12 pm

Re: Don't care if you work for the Queen

Gorgeous work!
Come fix my various ratty C Series cabs!
Yeow!
I gotta have those axle nuts, somewhere.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:04 am

Don't care if you work for the Queen What does that mean?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:07 pm

nikki,

I hope I didn't offend. (If so, I'll gladly change the heading). I forgot you guys fall under the Queen, (not an insult). It was just a play on - I don't care if you're royalty (we don't have any royalty in the US) or what your pedigree is. We (they) are not able to sell to you (me). Which basically put a screeching halt on old Robert. I "think" I have a good solution to everything except the inner rear axle nuts. I have found a 2-1/4 x 12 tpi tap and some A-2 steel if I have to machine my own, yuck!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:00 pm

I have the same problem up here in Canada, cant purchase a lot of stuff from the US without a US address and then drive down to pick it up. Regards to the Queen, well that's long past.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Any progress, Brighad? I want to build a flareboard pickup like yours but on C-30.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:32 am

I am not offended. I was not familiar with what you posted, so, I thought I should ask.
I also have an American mail address. My address is in Point Roberts, WA, USA. Having an American address makes shipping easier for sellers and shippers.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:26 pm

I haven't made too much progress, I'm working on tractors right now. Winters almost here so I will be bored and back on the old truck soon.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:19 am

Still don't have any solid solutions yet but posted a new write-up in wordpress of where we are. Yes, I know it's big mustache.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:24 pm

How much for C-Series cab wood blueprints?
How much to get you to do the wood for us?
Ever do 1934, 1935 Chebby cab wood? The A pillars are wood, too!
Love your work, thanks!
I thought people here with C Series trucks might like to know...
I have two "grenaded" C Series cabs...SURE, I know where the sheermetal parts go but they are missing all the wood.
Next

Return to 1940 and Older