Don't care if you work for the Queen

Forum designed for the D series and older

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:41 pm

Re: Don't care if you work for the Queen

MM, that's a hard one to outright have a one size fits all answer for. But I'll try to broad stroke it. I have almost $500 in White Oak purchased and enough for two more sets maybe. I probably have just over 100hrs of pattern, re-pattern, final pattern, milling, machining, powder coating and finishing. Are you asking for new metal sill rails, new metal seat pans, new wood seat frames. Need new door latch plates? Want standard hardware used or upgrade it to stainless? Pre-assembled, sanded or unsanded, finished or painted? Then how fast does one want it, pick-up or ship. The over under would be around 3-5k I would think. The clearer the parameters to more precise the bid. How about patterns? How would you like them? Paper? Plywood examples? Want to mix it up a bit because I'll bet figuring out how to cut the finger joints or even having the equipment to make it happen would be a challenge for some (maybe not). If I give you paper, a smart guy is going to cut up some plywood first and make double sure anyway, especially at the door jams. If I could crystal ball it and wanted to do it logically/cheaply. I'd order up a pre-made back upper seat rail with finger joints, main beam and supports. The supports are fairly easy but they are a mortise fit to the upper rail and the main beam is slotted to receive the supports. The violin cases and the door uprights I'd order as plywood. The cuts are fairly simple and I could check for fit and make minor adjustments. Save on shipping weight also (you only need one pattern and make mirror images). The rest of the floor and seat support front boards I'd order as paper drawings. They are straight forward and easy enough to make.

Hope that helps. I've never been in to this for money. But motivation for my unknown time left helps align my priorities.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:49 pm

Blindsquirrel,
My two C Series cab rebuilds showed me how much fitting and alignment is needed.
The first cab I rebuilt came with the maple wood internal cab pieces that the previous owner made. They were close but not perfect. I made them work using the same carriage bolts and tacks and brackets that held it together, originally.
The second C Series cab I rebuilt I used a metal and thick plywood sandwich for the floor "violin cases". In this case the cab door opening wood was fine. This cab was an all metal door model.
Your workmanship is much nicer than mine, obviously.
I think the idea of plywood patterns appeals to me.
Your prices seem to be in line.
Attachments
image.jpg
Can you see the C Series cab?
image.jpg
There's a chopped C Series IHC cab in there!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:02 am

Oh wow. Now there is some serious custom work. One thing I'm not great at "Custom". I know when I don't like something and I have a knack for figuring out what was originally intended. But creative juices belong to other blood streams. Does the boat tail open for storage, or is it all fuel for a gum ball run?

Have you seen this one on the bay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-Other-Make ... 6i&vxp=mtr

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:15 am

Blindsquirrel,
It has a IHC Scout factory-boxed frame, turned 180 degrees and an 1933 IHC B-3 front frame piece grafted on (same frame box dimensions).
It's all frame and gas tank and battery under the skin. Deep channel, too.
Previous

Return to 1940 and Older