Out with the Rusty and make the New

Forum designed for the D series and older

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:56 am

Out with the Rusty and make the New

Finally got some of the metal work started. Almost have the first hammer form built for the new cab corners. Wish there was a better option. Not real confident its going to work as well as I'd like it to. So it may end up in the firepit and become a do over. But I did get the sill caps to come out really nice (my opinion only). I posted a write up on the wordpress link below under the title of "The Pre-Stretch" if anybody would like to take a look and critique the outcome. Also, I'm looking for information on two (2) other things. Rear axle seal replacements for this thing (36 C-30) and does anybody know what the material is that separates the body panels or that that separates the hood from the cowl? Is it some sort of water proof canvas? Is a reasonable replacement available? Thanks in advance. You to MM.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:19 pm

Re: Out with the Rusty and make the New

Pre-stretch! I will try it! All very interesting, thanks.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:03 pm

Squirrel: For that canvas type material, I have not examined a C-30 closely but I think it sounds like old style body cushion or hood lace. See page 57 of Restoration Supply Company pdf catalog. https://www.restorationstuff.com/

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:13 pm

d2crazy. Thank you sir for the link. Looks like what I need. Will just have to figure out which one fits the bill the best. You ever get down this way. Look me up. I'm just ever so slightly north of the Columbia river on I-5.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Blindsquirrel: Good that the belting, or whatever it's called, will work out for you. I've called them before on help with their electrical items. So maybe you can ask them their ideas or ask for a couple of small samples.
Might take up on your offer. I'm interested in the hammer forming project. I make it down to Beaverton occasionally to visit the new grandson.

Return to 1940 and Older