"Stumbling"

Forum designed for the D series and older

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:27 am

Re: "Stumbling"

Roger that MM - I wasn't very clear with respect to the timing light - you are exactly correct that you can power the light with an external 12V battery - I am getting a self-powered light because the convenience appeals to me :-)
Last edited by Jupes on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Cornelius" - The "Rolling Restoration" of a 1939 IHC D-2 Pickup - 113" WB
New Website - "Restoring Cornelius"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:22 am

Just had a similar issue with the 27 and it was a bit of crap in the carbie jet. Cleaned it out and all good now.
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:55 am

Checked the vacuum advance today by hooking up a vacuum gauge to it - held vacuum for about 1 second, then dropped right off. I believe we have located our problem. Nobody seems to sell one, so sent it off to Jim Simpson at ODD Parts Fabrication for a refurbish. Expect to have it back in about two weeks. In the meantime, going over the distributor and giving it a good cleaning - especially the weights and springs for the mechanical advance.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:08 pm

Thought I'd provide an update on things... When I last posted I was going to have the vacuum advance rebuilt on for my 622-R Delco-Remy distributor. I have had that done and the guy did a wonderful job (see my website post "Stumbling Along" at http://restoringcornelius.com/stumbling-along/ for more details).

While fixing the vacuum leak helped immensely, it did not solve the problem. I pulled the fuel line off of the fuel pump to start testing it and noticed... there was only the tiniest dribble of fuel coming out :-) So I ordered some 3/8" copper/nickel fuel line and replaced everything from the tank to the engine bay (see http://restoringcornelius.com/new-fuel-line/ for additional info). THAT finally did the trick, and now between the cleaned carburetor, rebuilt distributor/vacuum advance, replacement fuel filter (was replacing those items anyway) and finally the new fuel line, I am happy to report that "Cornelius" is purring smoothly. Managed to get out on a test drive last weekend and had smooth, responsive power uphill and down. The idle is now a steady 850 rpm (feels best there - manual states should be around 800). Very happy.

Posting a pic from the drive - it was a gorgeous fall day here in southern Wisconsin on November 24 - 64 degrees and sunny. Just beautiful.

Too bad I have to put the truck away for the winter soon!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:51 pm

Absolutely beautiful truck, glad to hear you got it figured out and it is now running as it should. Pretty sure I can see the smile on your face from here in Pa.! Enjoy!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:26 am

That really is a nice looking truck , I bet it draws a crowd where ever you go .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:59 am

Nice work! Your truck is the same color combo as mine. I just ordered new timing gears/chain and differential bearings and seals. Hope to get rid of some unwelcome sounds in the engine and rear end. It is amazing that there are still guys out there that have these parts. - Stickman 207

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:07 am

Beautiful truck and great photography. Thanks for putting up the picture, glad you got the problem solved and hope you have a few more nice days of motoring before "Cornelius" goes to bed for the winter.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:25 am

stickman207 wrote:Nice work! Your truck is the same color combo as mine. I just ordered new timing gears/chain and differential bearings and seals. Hope to get rid of some unwelcome sounds in the engine and rear end. It is amazing that there are still guys out there that have these parts. - Stickman 207

Glad to hear you found your parts! If it's not too much trouble, what were the parts numbers and sources? At some point I will be doing the same work... ;)

Previous

Return to 1940 and Older