1936 IHC C1 Rear Axel

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:24 pm

1936 IHC C1 Rear Axel

My dad has and is working on his 1936 International pickup. Last year I bought a copy of the parts book on ebay, so we have that. From it we can tell that the rear axel has already been replaced-though we have yet to figure out with what. And there lies the problem-we need to re do the wheel cylinders and need new springs for the breaks as well. Unfortunately, I have no pictures or the rear axel to offer, so I know no one can help with identifying what it has for a rear axel.

What I am hoping the knowledgeable folks here can tell me is the make and model of other vehicles that make a good donor rear axel for the 1936 C1?
As we are open to changing it for a whole different rear axel.

I've included a photo of the truck.
Attachments
C1[1].jpg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:24 pm

Re: 1936 IHC C1 Rear Axel

I will put it simple, until someone else comes up with better. You want your tires to fit inside your fenders, you do not want the tires to rub on anything. Go from there. You will probably have to take whatever axle you find down to the tube on the outside and then re attach spring perches. Also notice where your pumpkin is in relation to the transmission output shaft. You will want to match that as close as possible. I will leave the better answers to the folks that do this sort of thing.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:36 am

You can "make" almost any rear end fit. Some are easier than others. It really depends on budget, skill, availability, needs, and desires. Tubes can be shortened or lengthened, axles can be made and yokes can be matched up. I have a shorter road for you to travel. I have a 1936 C-1 front and rear axle with brakes, drums, springs included and all in very good shape. Not a rusty piece of junk. Make me a decent offer and figure out how to get it sent to you and your done.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:14 pm

I've got a mid-1990s Pontiac Firebird rear axle in the C-1 I'm working on. So yes, you have options.
I've posted before..C series is when brakes went from mechanical to hydraulic. C Series to D Series to K Series swapped e brake location...twice? From diff to trans or vice versa.
Swapping in a slightly newer diff from IHC is a no-brainer until you realize all this stuff has awful, slow, gearing.
Time to update!

Return to 1940 and Older