36 C-30 Roof Panel

Forum designed for the D series and older

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:33 pm

36 C-30 Roof Panel

Anybody know if the roof panel separates from the back panel after removing the bolts from around the upper ledge and the supports or do they have spot welds also? Thanks!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:21 pm

Re: 36 C-30 Roof Panel

I think we've been through this... C Series cabs went from early 1934 "jigsaw puzzle to be put together at the factory" to a fairly...one-piece-skin-cab, later. (Early 1937).
Most of the early stuff (you can tell by mechanical brakes and half-cooling jackets on the HD Engine) had cabs that just fell in on themselves as the wood rotted. That means the roof seperated from the back. Earliest C Series cabs the corners are seperate from the back. I have one of those cabs in pieces. In fact, I have one steel door C Series, one really early "jigsaw puzzle" cab and one in-between.
In all cases the cowl is seperate from the "A" pillars that extend to the frame.
Short answer, I don't remember any spot welds holding anything together until almost "all steel door" time. In other words. Late 1936/ early 1937. One-piece-cab-skins.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:39 am

Thanks for the reply I knew I could count on you. Reason I ask is. Title says 36 but the back panel and cab corners are one piece. Well what isn't rotten anyway. I've re-cut patterns from what I could salvage and its coming together nicely. But at some point I'd like to pull the back panel if it comes apart easy enough and make the repairs. I pulled all the screws and bolts but it didn't just pull apart and I didn't want to just start prying without a little knowledge.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:31 pm

I always take note of all C Series cabs I see, either online or in person. Most I see in person are a giant floppy mess.
The roof seems to be "removable" until sometime 1936ish.

Return to 1940 and Older