Forum designed for the D series and older

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:09 am

Rechromed D2 door handle question

handles only.jpg
handles on door.jpg
Fellas,

Here's a few pics of my interior doors with the Ebay rechrome handles I just received. So here's a couple questions...
1. Were there any escutcheons? I don't have any so I installed them without and they don't touch the inner sheet metal so they don't scrape. I found some mystery felt washers that look like they could go between the handle and the door. Was that what they had?
2. I installed the mounting screws with both a split washer and flat washer. Is that original, or did they use screws only? I figured a split washer would keep them from loosening. I didn't paint them yet and I kind of like the look to compliment the chrome handles. Most of them are stainless so they won't turn rusty. I stepped up for stainless hardware everywhere I could on the assembly. I figured it only adds $30 - $40 to the project, but would be appreciated by the next guy who might have to take it apart in the future. No dealing with crusty bolts and screws!
3. What goes in the hole right under the window crank? I definitely don't have any part for that. Why is that there anyway? It looks like it gives you access to the nut on the window arm. What for?

Sorry for all the questions...this is my first resto project.

JT

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Re: Rechromed D2 door handle question

Hi JT:
1) I've only seen felt spacers between the handles and the door, and sometimes nothing.
2) The original screws for the handles have a blocky cylindrical head, like a Fillister head. I think a split lock washer should work OK if it fits inside the recess of the handle.
3) The hole beneath the window crank is for the adjustment nut. It would help if you had the IHC CT-140 Service Manual for D series trucks. The section on adjusting the window glass states to remove the plug and loosen the nut on the regulator. Crank glass up making sure it slides freely in the glass channel. When door glass is aligned in the window opening tighten regulator arm nut and replace button plug.
If you need button plugs I think a good hardware store might have them or Restoration Specialties.

PS the manual warns not to lower the glass with the oval cover plate missing because the window will drop too low and the regulator rollers will drop off the track/ I stuff towels below when installing the windows - just in case. The oval cover plate has a stop bracket on it, and left and right hand plates are not identical. The cover plate bracket originally came covered with a piece of horsehair mat to act as a cushion.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:11 pm

Thanks for the good D-2 info. I have not yet tackled windows /doors but have been through it with my KB-2 restoration and it is great to have a refresher course.- Stickman 207

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm

0716171742-door2.jpg
door components 1937 D-2
JT: I searched my spares and came up with this from my "inside cab doodads" collection. Black felt washers for handles with about 3/4 inch
ID and 1.25" OD +/-, and about 1/8th to 3/16 in. thick. The screw for the handle did come with a split washer that fits neatly inside the recess. Screw is also pictured. The horsehair wad covering the oval cover plate bracket is about 6" by 2.75" and probably was originally around an inch thick, and an original is pictured. Disclaimer: as found and not guaranteed to be factory original - they just looked really old.
Stickman, thanks and glad to help.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:35 am

Great info fellas! Thanks!

I don't know if you can see from the photo, I found some 1/4' - 24 socket head screws and split washers that fit perfectly! The pan heads were too large diameter and these were an exact fit in the handle recessed hole. Probably not time period correct to use hex head cap screws...but hey, they look awesome and they came in stainless steel so they will keep their look with the re-chromed handles. I'll post a close up photo later. With the split washer they are only slightly recessed so they fill out the void of the hole. I did have some felt o-ring washers in my parts pile so I will try them out later. They probably were an attempt at keeping dust and grime out of the door mechanisms on those dusty farm roads...something we don't have to deal with today!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:55 pm

Excellent information! I will be replacing my door hardware at some point and this thread will help tremendously!

John

"Cornelius" - The "Rolling Restoration" of a 1939 IHC D-2 Pickup - 113" WB
New Website - "Restoring Cornelius"

Return to 1940 and Older