Another D2 Assembly Question

Forum designed for the D series and older

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:35 pm

Another D2 Assembly Question

Hello Again Fellas,

I'm on to the next step of attaching the front fenders to the radiator support, frame and running boards. Here's the question: Is there a rubber spacer between the back of the fender and the two holes in the front of the running board where it bolts together? I'm assuming there is a rubber washer between them to keep them from squeaking and also to stop the rain from getting trapped between them and rotting them out. I was thinking of using 1/2" rubber bushings with the bolts that I got for them. What have you used or what is OEM from factory if anyone knows? Thanks for the help. Photos will be coming when I get my new cell phone. I'm really excited it's finally coming together!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Another D2 Assembly Question

Mine have two lead spacers per side.
Yes, lead. Those are stock.
Between the runningboard and fender?
The spacers look like something that fell out of a side-post battery. Angle cut on one side to match the fender contour.
I'm looking for a picture...

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:42 am

Thanks Monsonmotors!

I do have one or 2 of those in the jar of random unknown parts that came with the truck! I was wondering what they were for...
I thought they were washers that went into the bottom cups of the headlight stands since I only had two. Thanks for the info, I will cut my rubber bushings to match the angle and use them instead since I have 4 laying around and I'm missing the other 2 lead spacers, and frankly my lead ones are pretty mangled anyhow...

Oh, and I guess the next question is: what does go under the headlight stand so you can tighten the nut? I was just going to use a squishy rubber grommet and a couple flat washers to fill the contour of the semi-circle and a split washer to keep it tight.

JT

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:46 am

Wait...where you ADJUST the headlamp bucket? That's a special washer.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:45 pm

Yes, the headlight bucket has a 1/2" fine threaded stud that goes through the half-dome shaped headlight stand. I'm assuming there was a special half-dome washer that went underneath the cup so you would have a level flat shape to tighten the nut against. Does that sound correct? I don't have anything shaped like half a golf ball with a hole drilled through it, so I figured I'd use a squishy rubber grommet with graduated flat washers to fill in the bottom and tighten the heck out of it so it keeps it aimed properly. Although, now that I think of it, I probably could cut a golf ball in half and then drill out a hole... :lol:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:20 am

The headlamp assemblies are heavy and need to stay perfectly aligned. I don't think rubber washers should be used. The headlamp adjustment is clamped down very tight. Rubber won't allow this.
Good news is that all these era cars and trucks had a similar mounting system. Something should be out there.
I'd give you some of mine but they're still connected to the headlamp buckets.

Return to 1940 and Older