D2 Build Photos JT - axles and rims

Forum designed for the D series and older

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:22 am

D2 Build Photos JT - axles and rims

Fellas,
Here's a few more shots of the progress. Did I mention that I'm swapping out the axles for more modern 1950 Ford pickup axles? Not only are they a close fit but parts are readily available...even disc brake kits if I want to go that route! IHC parts of any kind are impossible to find on the East Coast and the original axles are locked up so it made my decision easy. Found a rear axle for $30 I swapped out last year and I just bought this front axle for $25. Having a chassis with 3 locked up wheels is no fun moving around let me tell you! If anyone is going to try this swap I'll give you some advice...buy some really good drill bits! I broke or burned up at least 5 bits when I was drilling the 8 holes through the flange on the Ford axle. It is 1/2" thick and you need eight 1/2" holes for the square U-bolts. The Ford spring flange just barely fits the inner most bolt holes (I did blow out about 15% of the hole during the final pass with the 1/2" bit. But there is plenty of metal with a cut washer to hold it. Another plus is the Ford axle has mounts for tube shocks so you just have to make a fitting for the top end. I'll be selling the original axles if anyone wants them...cheap! PM me, they are in New Hope, PA come and get them! See last photos. Prepping the rims my friend gave me with old school home-made white walls after painting the rims for my color scheme.
20170724_181624.jpg
20170727_174927.jpg
spring close up.jpg
painting rim.jpg
painted rim and hubcap.jpg

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:40 am

Re: D2 Build Photos JT - axles and rims

Sorry, forgot the front axle photo. You can see the plywood template of the u-bolt holes I made for locating the position on the newer Ford axle. I was told it was from a '50 but the 48 - 51's might all be the same width. I also have a front axle from a 55 Ford pickup and I can tell you it won't fit. The spring flanges are much wider and none of the holes will land on the flange without making some kind of adapter plate or welding one. PS - Both axles listed in the "swap meet" for sale.
20170730_192419_001.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:55 am

Re: D2 Build Photos JT - axles and rims

Now we know!
I'm always experimenting with trying to update a D-2 or a D-30.
International had one of the widest if not THE widest pick up frame in the late 30s. You won't notice it so much up front but in back it sure shows up.
Right after this time the various manufacturers began standardizing widths and wheelbases so the aftermarket companies could more easily supply beds for commercial applications. Otherwise, an aftermarket company would have to make a seperate bed for each manufacturer.
I'm talking about things like Telephone Company bodies and contractor's bodies.

Return to 1940 and Older