1939 D-2 Radiator Support Mount Pads? Grommets? Help!

Forum designed for the D series and older

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:27 pm

1939 D-2 Radiator Support Mount Pads? Grommets? Help!

Hey Fellas,

Finally getting ready to mount my front end sheet metal on my D-2 I've had for the last 7 years. Can anyone tell me if there is a rubber pad/spacer underneath the radiator oval support? I'm sure there is a rubber washer or pad but all I really need to know is what is the thickness of the rubber vibration pad or washer? I can fabricate anything from some scrap rubber but the thickness would be important to know. I'm sure the height of the rad support will have ramifications later on as I try to align the fenders, hood and front grill. Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks. Photos to come shortly....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:44 am

Re: 1939 D-2 Radiator Support Mount Pads? Grommets? Help!

Not quite the rocket science you think. Just stack some cut pieces of truck inner tube to about 3/16" or so. The radiator support carries a lot and is a very "active". It bobs and weaves with every bump. It's supposed to. Whatever you put in between will get mashed down. Start a little thick.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:39 am

Re: 1939 D-2 Radiator Support Mount Pads? Grommets? Help!

Awesome, thank you for the info!
I think I have some large 1/8" or 1/4" washers that I can use. I guess that's why they use the spring loaded bolts on the radiator support to allow for lots of movement.
PS - my D2 had similar spring bolts on the original rear cab mounts. I mentioned that to another forum member awhile back and he had no idea what I was talking about. Someone must have replaced his original spring bolts with solid bolts at some point. I guess they used them only on the rear cab mounts to allow for flexing of the frame. My driver rear cab floor is solid but there are stress cracks in the sheet metal around the bolt hole. The passenger side is like new. The front cab frame mounts seem to be beefier and they used a standard nut and bolt on mine.

Return to 1940 and Older