Radiator Removal

Forum designed for the D series and older

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:28 am

Radiator Removal

Going to have to pull the radiator on my '39 D2 for pressure testing and repairs. Any tips on removal?

Thanks,

John

"Cornelius" - The "Rolling Restoration" of a 1939 IHC D-2 Pickup - 113" WB
New Website - "Restoring Cornelius"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:52 pm

Re: Radiator Removal

If it is anything like the larger K's, remove the X brace between the cab and radiator/grill and remove the lower mounting bolts for the radiator and remove the grill and radiator as a unit, then remove the radiator from the radiator frame (inside the grill).

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks - exactly what I was trying to do but wasn't budging! Figured it out though - PO welded the grille to the front fenders! Once I cut the welds, everything came out. Always something new!

Happy 4th!!

John

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:15 pm

Ah! D-2 radiator removal.
1) D-2 uses radiator support as the main structural piece to hang fenders, hood, radiator shell.
2) On the three or four D-2s I've worked on, I think the radiator mounting tabs are under the brackets to mount front fenders. I'm pretty sure.
3) Therefore, all of that has to come apart: front fenders, radiator support, grille shell, hood, hood rods.
4) I don't think that just removing cooling fan and hood and hood rods gets radiator out.
5) Please correct me as necessary.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:36 am

Well, after grinding the obviously added welds (truck had a half-assed restoration in early 80's) the front grille and radiator assembly lifted right out. No removal or loosening of fenders required.

So - I'm gathering the parts I'll need to use for putting it back in once repaired. What has everyone been using for radiator support pads?

John

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:55 pm

John,

We are at a similar point in our assembly. I just posted a question asking the same thing. I would up using some old rubber gasket I had laying around and just doubled it up to make about a 1/8" thick pad. I know you can buy thick rubber washers at Home Depot and Lowes in their nuts and bolts aisle in the small drawers of specialty parts. They both have a pretty good assortment in the automotive drawers. If I was making a trip I would go with a 3/8" washer, but I wanted to get it mounted so I went with what I had.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:47 pm

I found some 2" diameter, 1/4" thick rubber spacers at a tractor supply store- will be trying those...

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:26 pm

So the radiator has been tested, patched, cleaned, fins straightened and painted. I had the radiator shroud sand blasted and powder coated, and I have been collecting stainless hardware to replace the original. At this point, the only item I am waiting on is the new hood and cowl lace from Restoration Specialties, then ai can start putting everything back together.

While the radiator was out, I also removed and cleaned the thermostat housing with vinegar (let it soak for a couple days to remove rust - worked great). I painted it, bought a gasket from Olson's Gaskets, and tossed in a new thermostat right away.

I will post a few pics soon.

John

Return to 1940 and Older