D-2 Bumpers

Forum designed for the D series and older

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu May 25, 2017 1:34 pm

D-2 Bumpers

So has anyone had any luck finding/using an aftermarket/repop bumper for our trucks? Perhaps with different brackets? I'd like to keep the same look, but replacing the bumper would be a LOT cheaper than straightening and rechroming...

Thanks,

John

"Cornelius" - The "Rolling Restoration" of a 1939 IHC D-2 Pickup - 113" WB
New Website - "Restoring Cornelius"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 25, 2017 3:49 pm

Re: D-2 Bumpers

I think you're stuck with what it came with. Bumpers are so individual and therefore identifiable to each IHC series. Putting a fake on it removes credibility, IMO.
Of course...I put D-2 on both Stude and Frontier frames. :)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 30, 2017 4:04 pm

Re: D-2 Bumpers

I know you're interested in the D model, but I looked around for a good replacement for the L model. I ended up with a front bumper for an F1 Ford. Closest curvature to the IHC front sheet metal. The height is about 1 1/2" shorter and the length is about 3" shorter on each end. It's smooth and doesn't have the "character" lines. We welded up original mounting holes, redrilled it for mounting on the modified IH frame horns. In spite of these differences, only the really hard core IHC guys have even noticed it's not original! I suspect hardly anyone will notice a substitute except for the aforementioned experts. Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Return to 1940 and Older