Perplexed Front Axle

Forum designed for the D series and older

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 24, 2017 10:08 am

Re: Perplexed Front Axle

When I started working on cars in 1975 we already knew arcing brake shoes was a bad idea.
Youtube is not always a fountain of wisdom.
Your tombstone will read: "But...what about ACETONE?"

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed May 24, 2017 3:41 pm

MM, I'm not disagreeing that it is a bad idea. Heck we all know you California's have always thought your ahead of the curve. I get it, I really do. When I was a kid people smoked in the grocery store and put their cigarettes out on the floor. When I joined the military, California outlawed smoking in the malls (thank you). We transferred to another state it took about two years for those same laws to reach there. My point about how much clearcoat should touch your skin. They say if you take one nickle and paint it red and toss it into a pile of one million nickles. That's is your allowed exposure for your entire life, and we all know that acetone absorbed through the skin can damage your liver. But there has to be a way to do this and do it right. Because I'm tell you. If your are putting new linings on a 1936 C-30 or any vehicle (truck in my case) from that period without arcing them in, you are doing a dis-service to your brakes and in a big big stretch, the public at large. When the shoes are placed in the drums. They make two major points of contact. The rest is anywhere from around .040 to .060 thousands away, maybe more. Once they are arced, they contact all the way around. Now tell me what happens when your brake shoes only contact say 10 or even 20 percent of the pad. I'll help. Heat build-up at the contact points. Uneven wear. poor break in/bedding. Warped drums. I know your going to tell me. These are old trucks and don't reach hy-way speeds, and you've never had a problem. Keep doing it your way. I'm with your thought process. But mine is a bit different.

Now I'm going to go bag up all my gloves and mask, take a shower and wash my clothes by themselves. I don't know if my shoes are subject. But I'm not going to blindly ignore the possibility.

Good luck to anyone doing their own work on these beautiful old trucks. They are a joy to learn about and to work on.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed May 24, 2017 4:55 pm

And they went together like butter. Problem solved.
Previous

Return to 1940 and Older