Back on the Restoration Road...

Forum designed for the D series and older

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:55 am

Re: Back on the Restoration Road...

Thanks for all of the info on your website. I just had engine rebuilt on my 37 D-2 and am getting ready to install it. My truck did not come with and oil filter but I bought one like yours and want to make sure I install it correctly. Thanks to your website, I now realize one pipe is routed to the other side of the engine. You refer to it as the "inlet" pipe. Does that mean it is pressurized so that the oil is pumped into the filter from the other side of the engine and that the other pipe off the filter drains the oil into the oil pan? Any chance you could post some pictures showing your installation? My engine has , I think four plugs on the other side and I think you said the pipe goes into the opening closest to the pressure sending unit.- Stickman 207

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:14 pm

Thank you for the compliment, and I am very happy that the site has been of help to you. I have not yet installed my filter and will definitely be posting more info when I do. As to the operating pressures for the filter, I do not yet know the specifics yet but will post when I do. My truck didn’t originally come with a filter either.

John

"Cornelius" - The "Rolling Restoration" of a 1939 IHC D-2 Pickup - 113" WB
New Website - "Restoring Cornelius"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:31 pm

Pressure is caused by restricting the flow of the pumped oil. A pump does not make pressure. Restriction of the flow makes pressure.
If the filter is plumbed to empty into the oil pan there will not be any internal pressure in the filter, other than the very small resistance caused by oil flowing through the filter media. Because of the design of many by-pass filtering systems, it will be necessary to partially restrict the oil flow out of the pressurized engine oil gallery so the engine lubrication system will not be starved of pressurised oil for places like bearings.
There is an easily adaptable by-pass filter system that uses modern spin-on filters.
Contrary to what many persons may think about by-pass filtering, it does work and it works really well.
A full flow oil filter on a modern car may not filter all of the oil. There will be a by-pass over-pressure valve in filter or more likely in the oilfilter adapter mount on the engine. An engine positive displacement oil pump can move enough volume of oil and if restricted the pressure can become high enough to blow an oilfilter out.
The coolant filter treatment system that CB89 speaks highly of is a bypass system. My employer uses this coolant treat-filter system.
Attachments
spin on filter modification.jpg
by-pass oil filter system
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:06 am

Hey Stickman,

Here are a couple pictures My oil filter installation. My D2 did not have an oil filter either but I found an old GRD motor that some local guy was selling and use the one that was on that motor. The motor in My D2 was upgraded to a 233 GRD sometime in its previous life so I don't know if oil holes are exactly the same, and yes, the oil inlet does go back to the other site of the motor near the oil sending unit. I do have an exploded view of a Delux filter assembly but it's in pdf format and it woun't let Me attach a pdf file to this site but if You PM me you're email I will send it to You.

George
Attachments
20190202_093158 (002).jpg
20190202_093120_HDR (002).jpg
37 D2 Pickup - restored
76 Scout II Terra - restored
74 International 200 4x4 - restoring
2011 F350

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:19 am