D2 Fuel Delivery Problem

Forum designed for the D series and older

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: D2 Fuel Delivery Problem

If I recall correctly the glass sediment bowl is in the vacuum portion of the system. A leak here (usually between the top of the glass and the bottom of the pump, or at the F/P inlet) is the same as an air leak anywhere between the pump and the gasoline in the tank, itself. It wants to suck air and not fuel.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:37 pm

I would say Monson might be on to something here. Looking at your last post on the first page. Where you use a can above and then again at equal height to the pump. But then again you said everything was rebuilt in post one which should entail new seals and gaskets. Is the glass sealing lip in good shape? Does the bail tighten properly? Sure dislike hearing you have to miss the parades.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:59 pm

Have you checked the suction and discharge valves located under the caps on the top of the fuel pump? A bit of crud under them would cause the problem.
Dave

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:06 am

The rebuild included a new gasket/seal for sediment bowl & it seems to seal and tighten up nicely. I'll give it another look though. Last week we removed the pump & heat shield to get access to the check valves, etc... Not a sign of any crud or grit in them. The replacement discs in 2014 were a hexagon shape and not round like the ones taken out. I think I will smooth out the "points" on the discs slightly and look for any imperfection in the valve body, clean everything again, re-install with the pressure gauge idea and see what we've got.
-Snowman.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:16 pm

So here we go... Cleaned the pump and check valves, re-installed pump, re-attached lines to truck fuel tank and carb, checked every fitting and clamp along the way and checked the sediment bowl gasket. Installed a tee after the pump but before the filter in the line to the carb. Started truck and let it warm up. Our gauge (probably not accurate) showed 2.5 lbs pressure. Ran the truck up the road and got on it a little and soon it stumbled. Pulled over and the gauge showed less than 2 lbs and the filter had almost nothing in it. If I rev the motor the gauge will drop/bounce to near zero and then go back to near 2 lbs. Diagnosis?
Thanks everyone!
-Snowman.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:00 pm

Worn lobe on the camshaft?
37 D2 Pickup - restored
76 Scout II Terra - restored
74 International 200 4x4 - restoring
2011 F350

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:26 pm

Dear Jesus put an electric pump on it!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:45 am

I hate to say it, but this time, I am inclined to agree, at least for the time being. Put a low pressure pump just by the tank and let it do the job, Then look at some of the other things like worn lobe, not worth fixing unless you want to tear apart(my opinion, too much work. Shoot, leave the pump there and send the gas through it.
Just my uneducated thoughts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:52 am

Put a clear plastic line on the pump only for test purpose. re run the test and look for air bubbles. Looks like your having a volume problem.
I had a line that didn't leak fuel but would allow air in. problem solved with a new line.
Could be a bad lobe, but try this 1st.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:26 am

I knew we could get it done right. Just had to stick with it. Congrat's and enjoy.
PreviousNext

Return to 1940 and Older