D2 Fuel Delivery Problem

Forum designed for the D series and older

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:30 pm

Re: D2 Fuel Delivery Problem

Do any of you guys watch "Chasing Classic Cars" with Wayne Carini?
If you do, you know that he deals in LOTS OF really expensive, classic, rare high-end old vehicles.
Guess what! As often as not SOMEONE has fitted an electric fuel pump to these old beasts. Watch the show sometime and LISTEN for the electric pump. Listen and watch when they turn the electric fuel pump on. NOTHING blows up. No one frowns. The world continues to spin.
If these $100k, 200k, 300k and up old cars use an added electric fuel pump, why not YOUR old IHC truck?
WHAT is the reluctance?
Sheesh! Get over it!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:32 pm

Monsonmotors wrote:Do any of you guys watch "Chasing Classic Cars" with Wayne Carini?
If you do, you know that he deals in LOTS OF really expensive, classic, rare high-end old vehicles.
Guess what! As often as not SOMEONE has fitted an electric fuel pump to these old beasts. Watch the show sometime and LISTEN for the electric pump. Listen and watch when they turn the electric fuel pump on. NOTHING blows up. No one frowns. The world continues to spin.
If these $100k, 200k, 300k and up old cars use an added electric fuel pump, why not YOUR old IHC truck?
WHAT is the reluctance?
Sheesh! Get over it!

MM If he only concern was getting the vehicle going in the shortest time, then I would say you are correct, but that isn't always the only thing. If the original fuel line is leaking an electric may or may not show it depending on placement, and then he has the original problem to repair, plus the cost of the electric and safeties.
There are many "quick and dirty" fixes to problems, but more often than not, the original problem remains and the fix only masks it for a time.
There are those of us who like things to work as originally mfg. It isn't the only solution but isn't a bad one either.
If the route of the problem is a bad cam, than an electric makes more sense than pulling the cam, but one would have to suspect that if the eccentric was worn for the fuel pump, what do the rest of the lobes look like?
If I was on a trip, and the vehicle was acting the way his is, than sure, I would throw and electric on it, but when I got back I would want to find out why, it is just my nature I guess.
When I was turning wrenches for a living, I spent a great deal of my time un doing the "quick fixes" to get at the route of the problems. More often than not, the "fix" solved the immediate problem but not the real root problem which manifested itself in other ways.
It takes more time to do it my way, but once the problem has been solved, it is done for good.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:25 pm

CB, I would expect you to do things only the right way.
I grew up with mechanical fuel pumps and have thrashed on them just like the OP has many times.
As I get older my time has become more valuable for some reason. I have less patience. Why would you spend hours, days on end of irreplaceable spare time messing with an obviously mysterious, cantankerous system that can easily, safely and cheaply be bypassed? AND THEN get dozens of others to waste THEIR time trying to diagnose the problem from afar?
It's like you all are complaining that your pencil sharpener is out of whack. 99% of people don't need a pencil for anything, anymore. They use their digital device, instead.
Why not take a step forward in time?
If these vehicles were from THIS MILLENIUM I would say "OK. Let's fix it by the book".
But they are averaging 60-70 years old here and topping out over 90 years old. You CAN'T go to AZ and get a new part for it. Maybe a spark plug. Or a quart of oil. Not much else.
I've been working on vehicles new and old for forty years, i can't for the life of me see what the reluctance is on updating a few things here and there.
My recommendations on this electric fuel pump stuff always includes replacing all fuel lines. The one in the tank might need to be replaced, too.
Safety precautions like the oil pressure switch cut off must be followed. (Except hardly anyone ever does) .
I can't help human nature.
Dear Lord, let's DRIVE these things.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:57 pm

It can be the difference between fixing a problem and re-engineering your way out of the problem. Both get you to the same place.
For some it is a learning curve and a problem becomes an education that goes long beyond the problem at hand.
In most cases, on a 75 year old or older vehicle, fixing the problems is not a matter of if you don't you will not show up at work tomarrow.
I've seen my share of failed mechanical pumps and more than my share of failed electric's. The mechanicals are less likely to leave you stranded on the side of the road. They tend to fail more like the OP's where you get some fuel, not enough, or it leaks (either external or internal) where electrics seam to fail in a way where no fuel is delivered. In either case something needs to be done, but one tends to give more warning that there is a problem.
When I bought my K-7 it had a half assed 12 volt conversion and an electric fuel pump. The vehicle was totally un reliable. Once I spent some time sorting out the problems and returning it to stock, I wouldn't nor didn't hesitate to drive it 900 miles in the dead of winter, temps dropping to -23 at night.
It doesn't have to have the newest systems, the old just has to be in good shape.
The orginal poster seams to want to solve the problem, nor replace the system, so lets concentrate on that. It wouldn't be a waste to replace the fuel line from the tank to the pump even if there is no evidence of a leak.
I know that the OP had the pump rebuilt by somebody, but I can recommend Then and Now in Waymoth, MA. I had them do my K-7 and it had been working very well.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:32 pm

I understand your feelings about going to an electric pump and it works for you. But in this case - so far - it wasn't the best option. If it turns out to be nothing more than a $3 piece of hose where is the down side. Your option of adding and mouting wiring, switches, fuses, and adding the pump. That most generally is quite noise, and are you sure he has converted to a 12 volt system? Are electric 6 volt pumps available everywhere? There was a line leak. It just doesn't seem to fit time wise, or cost wise. I don't feel it necessary to point out who appears to be the blind one here. ;)

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:23 pm

As might be noted above when I posted. Electric is one option and a quick fix. MM, you are in Business and time is money, I understand that very well, I have had my Business also, so does CB89. Each of us has a different perspective, none are wrong. Just keep in mind, as has been stated, All these things are a learning curve, some of which can be used again and again. For me, and perhaps quite a few of the folks, these vehicles are Not our primary vehicle, they even may just be a "hobby" or in my case, I see, and I try to get it, just to preserve it for someone else because it is going to get crushed. I have lots of different things to work on but not a lot of money, but a deep curiosity to know "how and why it works that way". Some of us are retired and have time on our hands. This has been an educational thread.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:28 pm

Blind Squirrel, the original post was June 24th. It's now the middle of July. The vehicle COULD HAVE been up and running THAT FIRST NIGHT with an electric fuel pump.
You guys act as though electric fuel pumps are a "fad...they'll never catch on".
They've been standard equipment on EVERYTHING road-going on the light duty side of things, foreign and domestic, for close to thirty years.
CB acts as if he might not return from a test drive with one on!
Blind Squirrel, please don't join in the "de-braining" that's going on here.
After nearly a month of thrashing you think the small cost of the repair justifies the time spent?
The electric fuel pump and mechanical fuel pumps aren't mutually exclusive. You can run BOTH. At the same time.
WHY NOT install the fuel pump, DRIVE THE THING, and THEN spend ridiculous amounts of time diagnosing AFTER you've returned from your latest errand? All the time being able to drive the truck.
You guys need to exchange your sandals and togas and headbands for more time-appropriate dress. It's 2016.
You look really UNSMART and OUTMODED.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:55 pm

I don't want this to turn to a mud-slinging contest, But MM, the OEM pumps that you refer to are a different animal, the sit in the tank, are cooled and somewhat lubed by the gas and are generally reliable. The one in my '94 Explorer went 190K or there abouts, the one in my 85 Saab Turbo is still going strong.
I got a Semi tractor (Fleetstar) for $350 because they couldn't keep it running (had a electric mounted on the firewall. When the correct mechanical was fitted, the truck ran until I sold the engine out of it last year. My '42 K-7 the same thing, aftermarket pump and it failed. The mechanical also on the truck had failed,(that was the reason for the aftermarket electric) but when it was overhauled there have been no problems.
On the Fleetstar I could have fitted a Tolkhiem in tank pump like they used with the 549 Tanks had the access plate for it, but the cost for one of those is over $300 just for the pump.
On my K-7 I could have used a Holley or Carter vane pump, but there again the cost is more than the mechanical, not counting the safety switches.
No OEM ever used a pulse type electric, and for good reason.
Ask Dean466 how hard it was to start my K-7 winch truck when he came to get the 282 engine. THat truck is all original. The old ways aren't the only way, but they aren't necessarly bad either.
I'm doing quite well making my living with a 33 year old semi with unknown millions of miles and "old technology. I drove past many with newer equipment that were on the side of the road today in 100 deg heat.
P.S. I'm wearing Bib overalls and a Black T shirt, with Wellington boots, No toga's or sandels.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:30 pm

See this is what I like - absolutely great conversation without anyone getting butt hurt. Toga's and sandals. You crack me up carmine! I can barely spell sandal without having to look it up. Black 5.11's, boots, t-shirt, and a hat. I did go to a toga party once in like 82.

MM I fully understand your position. In fact of the nine vehicles I have, my 36 is the only one without an electric pump. 2 -57's, a 67, 2 -70's, a 97, and 2 -03's, all have electrics. Trust me, I'm not against them. But still in this particular case I wouldn't have. I base that off of many factors that fit me. Anything after maybe 1940, a daily use type, longer trip taker, totally don't care about even sort of keeping it original. no time in my life to futz with stuff, needed in service, money going jingle jangle in my pocket, or any other number of factors. But I have a 1936 IHC, no turn signals, no radio, no heater, no butt warmers, no power windows, and no 12 volts yet. The only thing I want to hear is the wind blowing thru my hair with the 60/40 air conditioning, the grind of the gears in my non syncro trans, and the whine of old radial tires on the road.

Would I put one on my 36? Yes, if I was stuck somewhere. Or if I can ever find a side mount tank and do away with the seat tank. I'd put it in tank, lift style and run it to the mechanical.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:52 am

CB, the ridiculous amounts of computer modules on vehicles today have made them susceptible and vulnerable. I suspect THAT'S part of what's sidelining all those trucks. Just a guess. It sidelines newer trucks in our shop.
NOT add-on electric fuel pumps.
My problem is that CB is like the "voice of God" here on OLD IHC and THAT voice is rooted in 1930s technology.
Just because you have had bad experiences with electric pumps doesn't mean NO ONE should ever use one. Why don't you ever say that. "Your results may vary"?
Working on cars everyday has made me leery of ANYTHING modified. It just means more work for me.
However, in the case of antique vehicles EVERYONE needs to carefully CONSIDER some alternatives. Or stop driving them...
You act as though mechanical fuel pump technology was the apex of automotive engineering. It was NOT.
MY experiences with new (Carter) mechanical fuel pumps locally has been AWFUL!
As in JUNK. No start, leaking, piles of JUNK. Right out of the box..
CB, PLEASE CONSIDER that a few decades have passed since you've made your "final determination" on electric fuel pumps. Maybe it's time to "experiment" again. My experience with bad add-on fuel pumps showed that poor INSTALLATION was just as likely to have made it not work right.
Guys, the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s will NEVER visit us again. Time does nothing but slowly deteriorate our old trucks.
Time to come up with some new ideas! Scratching our heads over easily updated systems just looks foolish, wastes time.
PreviousNext

Return to 1940 and Older