36 C-30 seat frame

Forum designed for the D series and older

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am

36 C-30 seat frame

Hello from the Great Pacific North West. Where we don't tan - we rust. Lurking for awhile and even tried to do some sort of registry thing. Boy that turned in to a mess. Oh well, that's what we have kids for. To teach us when all the new fangled stuff comes out. Anyway, my 36 C-30 is missing the seat. Any ideas on finding something to use as a replacement? I'm more in to preservation than upgrade. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 22, 2016 10:50 am

Re: 36 C-30 seat frame

It's a wooden-framed thing with a cut-out for the underseat fuel tank filler. It's really pretty odd. I probably have one. Maybe I could send you a picture? I think you could construct the seat frame from new wood (as the old wood is generally only good for a pattern). So maybe all you need is a drawing with dimensions?
Finding a usable original frame could be difficult. Even here in CA they're a mess.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun May 22, 2016 11:33 am

Dimensions, drawings, pictures. Anything to go off of to get close is better than what I"m starting with. I can make just about anything. I take it there are some sort of seat springs involved also? I find it interesting that the two major things missing from a 36 C-30 is not the fender tag, the emblems, the headlights, or the hub caps. Just the seat frames and the horn. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 22, 2016 1:25 pm

You know what I'm gonna say...be glad the thing made it at all. They are a carpenter's mess! Generally they fold in on themselves and dissolve into the earth. Go a couple of years newer (D Series) and they last as long as anything will.
I will begin my search, now. Keep in mind that D -30, C-30 and possibly B-3 1 1/2 ton trucks have underseat tanks. My 1930's Chevy, too.
In other words, any dimensions I relate must be double checked...perhaps a cardboard mockup...to see if I've discovered the right seat frames...yuck! Messy stuff!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun May 22, 2016 1:56 pm

I have a fairly intact seat frame from my 36 CS- 35. I plan to recover it for my truck but could make a pattern from it. Where in the great pacific Northwest are you. I am in eastern Wa.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun May 22, 2016 4:01 pm

MonsonMotors, Thank you for getting back with me. We are just talking about the seat frame stuff dissolving into the earth, yes? I think I'm clued in because you said carpentry. But I want to work from the same sheet of music. My truck is solid as can be. Someone just removed the seat and never put it back. Which is why your help is so greatly appreciated. I have nothing to even guess by. I didn't realize how far gone something can get. Like your speaking of. I normally work on things like 57 chevy's, late 60's elkie's, early 70 nova's and dusters. Worst I've had to deal with is total floor pan replacement. Rocker panels, quarter panels and roof sections. None of which are made of wood for sure. When I figure out how to post a picture here I will. The best I can do is point you to the story about the truck so far which has a couple if pictures. https://blindsquirrel1936c30.wordpress. ... blog-post/

jerryC3, Thanks. At this point I open to any assistance. I'm over on the other side in the SW corner. Just a bit north of Portland, Or.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun May 22, 2016 5:37 pm

I am restoring a B3 1 1/2ton. I think I have a extra seat mount. I will get in to my parts and see. I will post a picture of it when I get a chance. I will also get some measurements off of it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 22, 2016 6:29 pm

I read your blog...what plans do you have for your C -30? Does yours have mechanical brakes or juice brakes? All metal doors or wood in them?
It looks amazingly complete and solid from the picture.
The original trans has no synchros and is a double-clutcher. OR just learn to shift and it goes right in.
Yes, just cut the floors out of wood.
Bed? A wooden flatbed?
Since the IHC HD/GRD is a Willys-based flathead six, the engines tend to get swapped out a lot. My last C-30 had a GRD (K series) flathead six in it. Only obvious modification was the front crossmember got clearanced for the bigger crank pulley.
Does yours have the original HD flathead six?
All in all a great start.
My "dissolve into the earth" statement applies to the entire cab. They just fold in and collapse as the supporting wood rots. Not good.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 22, 2016 7:09 pm

Did a walk around on the back forty. I think I found what you need, and more.
Attachments
image.jpg
Just another C30 growing out of the bushes...
image.jpg
Very likely C-30 or D -30 seat frame bottom.
image.jpg
C-30 trans parts
image.jpg
B-3 bellhousing
image.jpg
C-1 cowl parts.
image.jpg
C-30 roof section. Early C-30 cab.
image.jpg
Hanging seat frame...most likely very old IHC
image.jpg
Box of B-series parts.
image.jpg
Those are indeed C30 seat frames...they're IN a C30

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 22, 2016 9:14 pm

What I meant when I said "dissolve into the earth".
Attachments
image.jpg
Early 1930s Chevy truck cab slowly dissolving.
Next

Return to 1940 and Older