36 C-30 seat frame

Forum designed for the D series and older

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun May 22, 2016 10:21 pm

Re: 36 C-30 seat frame

Plans are to make functional and then build upon that. I've done to many resto projects to want to blow this one apart and then take to long to get everything just right. I want to enjoy a safe and functional C-30. No flash, no bling. He has juice brakes to all four corners on the original single cylinder master. Might think of splitting the circuits later. All metal doors and as far as the bed goes. It is a wooden stake bed now. Should it be something different? Original style motor. I'll call it original but who knows for sure. I know it's not the GRD. Also, I'm not above helping others with things that come up also. I can make two copies of a seat frame just as easy as one. I also have a hobby machine shop with a full size Bridgeport mill, lathe, plasma cutter, powder coat setup (not harbor freight), and almost every type of welder you can have. If you need something one off, I can give it a try. I prefer to work in aluminum. Be warned, my tig welding skills still suck. I am also other wise employed, so paying or trading are not out of the question. At this point the priority is seat and transmission snout. The glass, horn, and other things can very much wait. Slow and steady.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 22, 2016 11:18 pm

You have the best possible C30, if I understand correctly. Juice brakes, all metal doors, cab roof, back and cab corners are permanently attached to each other. Only the cowl comes off. The best possible. Some of these were produced in early 1937. Have you checked your VIN number versus the University of Wisconsin archives?

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon May 23, 2016 1:17 am

Doing the math should put it as about the second week of Mar 1936 vin assignment date. I'll try to pm you on the other stuff. Thanks for the ego boost on getting the best possible one. I'm fairly sure it was nothing but luck on my part. I've always like the body style and have owned IHC stuff before. Even used a IHC M-60 in the military but I confess that my technical knowledge is being expanded exponentially when it comes to the nuts and bolts of a 36 C-30 IHC. I do know a very tiny bit about flatheads. But I'm hear to listen, learn, and document. Feed me Seymour

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 23, 2016 7:01 am

I'm sure I saw some accessories for a 36C30 in the Victoria Secret site.
Very nice model.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 23, 2016 1:07 pm

I get nothing done while looking at that self-exciter catalog!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 23, 2016 1:35 pm

I've learned a few things about C30s. Even the best examples are puzzles when apart. Odd wood pieces, metal brackets, carriage bolts galore. Battery is held way out inside the fender/ running board. Just weird.
IHC had gone OHV way before this model. IHC used a Willys designed flathead six. (no? Why do Willys headgaskets and fuel pumps fit? ) IHC's first light duty pickup (in the way we think of pickups) was a rebadged Willys called the D-1. I have a D1 grille on my garage wall. That's why the D Series IHC-built trucks begin with D-2. D-1 was taken. :)
Anyway, a IHC OHV six will not fit. Too long. The C35 IHC has a longer hood and a bigger engine bay.
IHC and Willys-based engines had advanced full-pressure oiling systems, standard replaceable bearings. Chevy still had oil "squirters". Ford had no hydraulic brakes until...1939...on trucks. IHC was ahead of its time!
Another advancement was a starter that engaged the flywheel without having to push it into engagement with a foot pedal. Mopars had that starter pedal for years and years. The IHC starter footpedal just makes or breaks the starter connection. You can use a Ford starter relay and a US 100 starter switch to get modern start!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:47 am

So a little update for those not following the story. Bob the truck runs! After un-sticking this and fixing that. I did a bunch of temporary stuff and he pretty much fired right up. Yipee!

I did not find a replacement seat but a very gracious member sent me several pictures and even took the time to draw out and send a dimensional drawing. Again, Thank you J.C. of Wa. Awesome stuff.

I also did not find a bearing retainer to replace the bad one on my T-9 trans. I'm still working this problem and have several ideas in mind.

A whole bunch more has started to move forward on Bob the Truck but I'll leave most of it to the blog. I'll just hang out in the background here and learn where I can, but I wanted to yell out another thank you to all those that have helped or will help in the future. Think brakes and wheel seals?

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:18 pm

I am also in need of the pattern for a seat for a C-30 any help would be great picture the whole bit. thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:49 pm

Yes! Please post a picture of seat frame dimensions!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:18 am

Just joined so getting into this late. I do have the seat in good condition that you are looking for.
PreviousNext

Return to 1940 and Older