Replacement hood hinge for D2

Forum designed for the D series and older

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Replacement hood hinge for D2

Working on 39/40 D2, where can I find replacement hood hinge? Mine rusted in two at the flange and the body is rusted solid. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:32 pm

Re: Replacement hood hinge for D2

My efforts to find a suitable replacement went nowhere... I have a spare hood, but the center hinge on it has it's own issues.... I decided to repair my hinge by carefully drilling out the rivets that attach the center hinge onto the 2 hood top pieces... once removed, I then soaked the center hinge with aluminum rust jelly (rust remover).... may take several applications... after the pieces freed up, I then sandblasted, constantly working the hinge.... soaked again, cleaned, and once satisfied I used an acid wash (from Eastwood) then painted with epoxy primer, using a brush to get epoxy primer into each J channel of the hinge pieces.... NOTE: these J channel pieces were never separated from one another..

As for the flanges that were rusted thru, I used scraps of 18 gauge sheet metal to fabricate replacement pieces, and welded them into place.. not perfect, but it works...

For those not familiar with the center hinge for a D2, it is not a typical hinge which is a cylinder with a rod running thru it. This hinge consists of two unequal lengths of J channel, that interlock along the J channels. The hinge pivot points are created by folding the longer of the J channels ends forming a cylinder or pin... the forming of the "pin" also creates a "stop" capturing the hood pieces so they stay aligned once opened....

My efforts to find a replacement went nowhere. 1933-34 Fords had a similar hinge, but didn't meet the measurements (length) that the IHC requires... You can check the MAC catalog for these hinges... My last resort, should my repair not hold up, will be from SPEEDWAY. Their latest catalog has a hinge assembly which may meet the requirement... I intend to include one in my next Speedway order...

PMH

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:41 pm

I appreciate the info, my "hinge" portion is straight and complete. My flange to the drivers side hood section rusted through and broke years ago. Not much to weld to for a repair but it sounds like it may be my only hope. One other question for you, my pin that goes in the socket on the cowl has broken off. Any luck repairing that?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:09 am

It is not really a "pin" per say, but rather an extension of flat metal that is part of the driver's side of the
hinge assembly.... once the two pieces are combined to form a hinge, this "extension" is rolled into a pin...

Take a good look at your remaining pin. You will see that it is integral into one of the two hinge components... You will also
notice the "roll" that I'm speaking about... Your missing "pin" should look the same as the remaining one...

If memory serves me right (which is a reach) the "drivers" side half of the hinge is two (2) inches longer than the passengers..
The two inch difference is the material that makes up the pins... once the hinge pieces are slide together, once inch on either end
is formed into the pin.... should you be missing one end (pin) once you get these pieces freed up, they will slide apart...
the remaining pin will properly illustrate what I'm trying to describe...

The hinge flanges that attach to each upper hood half are equal length...

By the way, I used copious amounts of Navel Jelly vice Aluminum Jelly.... again, memory issues...

Good luck
PMH

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:37 pm

So far so good, your advice has been spot on! I was able to drill out the rivets, the passenger side flange is still solid so its good. I got a piece if 18 gauge, its cut to length, punched and tacked on the drivers side hinge. Working on cleaning the channel put now to smooth out the opening motion. I hope to complete it today, I'll try to get some pictures when its done. Thanks again for the advice!

Return to 1940 and Older