D2 King Pins

Forum designed for the D series and older

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:56 pm

D2 King Pins

I am thinking about replacing the king pins on my 1938 D2. Does anyone have any insight to this project? Any kits available or will I have to piece together bushings etc? Thanks.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:12 am

Re: D2 King Pins

I've been looking thru my stuff in order to find what you require...
The only supplier that I can find a part number for is Rare Parts p/n RP30138, sells for about 320 bucks...
I know Moog is also a supplier, but cannot for the life of me find the part number... several weeks ago, someone
(possibly Scott) posted some part numbers, but I cannot find the post...

Note: I hesitate to recommend Rare Parts.... they charge 320 bucks for something that should be less than 100..
At least all the necessary components are included.... but quality is suspect... the grease galleys machined into
the bushes don't line up to the grease fittings, and the overall inside diameter is inconsistent... worst of all, once
they get your cash, you're treated personna-non-grata..... but that's just my opinion.....

As far as installation... not hard.... but recommend that you take the spindles to a machine shop to install/ream the
bushes.... that's unless you're a machinist yourself.... see above comment re: quality..

Prior to this site being hacked, there was a HOW TO write up re: kingpin installation... I believe it originated in "turning wheels",
it detailed pretty much everything regarding the kingpin installation.... I've also looked for it, but unable to find it... maybe
this post will jog another member's memory and they too would have the info you need..

PMH

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: D2 King Pins

King Pin Project update.
After looking into my options for replacing my pins I decided to order a NOS kit (100 bucks)from Northwestern Auto. The kit name/number was a Neapco part number NA-340. The pins and bushings fit perfectly but the 1/4 inch retaining pin would not work with new pins. The groove in which the retaining pin fit into was about 1/2 inch long. If I used the original 1/4 inch retaining pin, it would have allowed king pin to possibly shift up/down 1/4 inch. I drilled out the 1/4 inch holes in axles to 3/8 inch so wedge bolt (provided in kit) could be utilized. After new bushings were installed, I took to machine shop to get bushings reamed to allow proper alignment. I also considered ordering bushing material from National Bushing in Michigan. They seemed reasonable on price of material. (Less than 5 bucks a bushing). They will also cut material to size but person on phone said price could go as 100 bucks for Labor.

Return to 1940 and Older