Need D2 info, please help!

Forum designed for the D series and older

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:25 am

Need D2 info, please help!

Greetings fellas!

Thank goodness I finally found an IHC forum! I just purchased a 1940 D2, most of the sheet metal only and I really need help to get this up and running!

1. I can't seem to find the wheel size and was looking at Vintique replacement rims, just need to know what is the correct size?

2. Anyone know of sources (other than eBay and Craigs) for running boards? Are the K6 or K7 series interchangeable or reasonably close to the D2's? I heard they might be.

3. What wheel-base were the woody wagons built on? The short bed 115" or the long bed 125" frame?

4. Does anyone make repro front and rear bumpers? Would a Chevy bumper work, it looks pretty close but I'm not sure about the mounting holes.

5. Has anyone tried to install a D2 on a Renger or S10 frame? There doesn't seem to be many parts available for D2's, I hope I'm not taking on a huge project to get this thing running again. I'm not sure I'd ever find a replacement frame, and it might be more expensive to upgrade to disc brakes and IFS by the time I'm done. Wanted a modern-ish engine anyway so...any thoughts?

6. Anyone see an online owners manual or spec sheet on the D series? Trying to see what parts I'm missing and how the fenders and sheet metal goes back together. Any diagrams would be very helpful!

PS - I have some duplicate parts that I will list once I'm further along to help anyone else with their projects. I got two hoods and sides, an extra cowl, misc. small parts...

Thanks folks, I appreciate any info you can pass along to a newbie! Love the D2, even if it is just a pile of parts so far! :yay: :yay: :yay:

Jim

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:45 pm

Re: Need D2 info, please help!

Just so you know.
You are taking on a very big and expensive project. $10,000 will be just enough money to get you hooked so you will spend another ten thousand and still not be done with it. Say $20,000 gets the truck finished, how many years do you want to put into the build?. Five is a conservative number. Five into twenty is four grand a year. Will your budget allow that hit? If there is a significant other, do they understand and are they agreeable? More relationships die over money than any of the other causes.
Do you have an indoor place to work on this truck? Tools and lots of them? Be honest with yourself, what is your skill level? Answer yourself honestly, no one knows who you are, so you can walk away now, if you choose, and not be embarrassed.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:00 pm

Thanks for the warning nikkinutshop but I'm all in! Just sold my Model A woody and freed up the garage, my wife and the four dogs are on-board with the project, and other than the usual issues that come with getting old, I think I have another 5 years left in me! Now, if you would be so very kind and help with answering any of my questions I would really appreciate it. Anyone know of a source for a D2 parts manual? eBay has some D15's listed but I have yet to see a D2. Would you think they are close enough despite the 15 being a panel delivery?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:51 pm

Here's links that have some of what you're looking for...

Manuals;
http://www.binderbooks.com/Pre-1940%20T ... anuals.htm
IH always made good manuals with lots of illustrations in parts manuals and photo's in service.

Sales brochures (Basic specs);
http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm ... ate/page/1

Search this section and the K/KB, I believe someone used a Dakota and claimed it was "relatively easy",the body fit well...
Looks good in the pic's though,wheels pretty much centered in wells.
Might be something to also consider.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:25 pm

http://www.books4cars.com/
This is one of my favorite stores for car and truck books. You should be able to check their stock on-line.
I understand being all in. The project that is in the shop now and nearly finished has passed $100,000. The costs built up as I continued to buy the parts and pieces to fill the gap between where we started and where it is now. If I learned anything from this build, it is maybe, just maybe, I should have had a less ambitious plan. Do I have any regrets, none what-so-ever. I used my overtime and money saved from not smoking to pay for this craziness. What have I learned? Well, I turned 69 last year and other than some arthritis and a bad attitude, I am able to push myself well beyond the average. This is just fine with me because it plays nicely into my mild OCD.
Our next and just stated project will be for my son. If you have any interest, the build can be viewed on this forum under L110 Shorty. I/we are trying to control the Shorty build more than the other project, but ................... I think we will be able to keep the L110 close to $25,000.
We do all of our machine work and fabrication here. I do not do paint and body, by choice. Years ago, I had lots of time and I did not treat my time with respect. Now, I have less time ahead and what I have is more highly valued, so I try to send the dirty work out.
I am looking forward to your build. Make it one for the old guys.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:51 pm

Welcome to the madness of building a 75 plus year old inter/binder.

couldn't agree more with NNS comments regarding costs $5-6 thousand per metre/3 foot for a small truck so $20-$25 thousand should be your starting budget if you can do most of the work at home.

You have started by asking a lot of questions all at once let everyone get there heads around what you are looking for so they can reply.

Your choose on what you build some on here are purists and don't like seeing things changed other don't mind what changes are made. Before you got to far down the track take some time to think about the finished product you want. If it is something that can run with modern traffic then you will need to look at a frame/engine swap if you are happy to run down the road at about 40mph then stock will do.

Think end product first.

Trevor
Attachments
IMG_0080.jpg
Very nice little D2 ute
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:53 pm

Thanks Fellas!

Great info on the book sources, NNS and Scottso! Thanks, placing my order today. Cool ute slospeed, that is the exact paint job I'm going to do on mine except yellow rims with whitewalls! Got the grill already painted, front fenders primed, cab and rear fenders need strip, sand and prime yet.

I'm definitely going the route of modern engine/running gear. I suffered too long with my Model A only able to make the mid 40s!!! Haha. This one is going to be original on the outside and a driver under the hood! I'll look into the Dakota idea, it's all about availability so...

Wat'sithe rim size on your D2s? I'm going to have to order repro rims from Vintique since I didn't get any with my truck parts. Vintique has a few artillery style rim sizes and I want to go with whatever was original to keep the same profile.

Thanks again for all your valuable insight...I can see the D2 community is infinetly smaller than the Model A community that I"m used to haha! Your input is appreciated!

Jim

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:31 pm

Hi Jim,

The rims on My D2 are 5 1/4" x 16, the tires are 6.00 x 16.

--George
37 D2 Pickup - restored
76 Scout II Terra - restored
74 International 200 4x4 - restoring
2011 F350

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:46 pm

ebruns1 wrote:Greetings fellas!

Thank goodness I finally found an IHC forum! I just purchased a 1940 D2, most of the sheet metal only and I really need help to get this up and running!

1. I can't seem to find the wheel size and was looking at Vintique replacement rims, just need to know what is the correct size? 16" rims, 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern

2. Anyone know of sources (other than eBay and Craigs) for running boards? Are the K6 or K7 series interchangeable or reasonably close to the D2's? I heard they might be.No reproduction KB-6 up boards are bigger, they "could" be fabricated but not a bolt in replacement

3. What wheel-base were the woody wagons built on? The short bed 115" or the long bed 125" frame? most woodies were on the shortbase, But there are some on long too

4. Does anyone make repro front and rear bumpers? Would a Chevy bumper work, it looks pretty close but I'm not sure about the mounting holes. no reproduction bumpers for any model IHCs yet,,,,that I know of

5. Has anyone tried to install a D2 on a Renger or S10 frame? There doesn't seem to be many parts available for D2's, I hope I'm not taking on a huge project to get this thing running again. I'm not sure I'd ever find a replacement frame, and it might be more expensive to upgrade to disc brakes and IFS by the time I'm done. Wanted a modern-ish engine anyway so...any thoughts? look in the builds section

6. Anyone see an online owners manual or spec sheet on the D series? Trying to see what parts I'm missing and how the fenders and sheet metal goes back together. Any diagrams would be very helpful! scottso answered, he's the one to know, binder books reproduction manuals aren't cheap, but they are good quality & licensed by IHC

PS - I have some duplicate parts that I will list once I'm further along to help anyone else with their projects. I got two hoods and sides, an extra cowl, misc. small parts...

Thanks folks, I appreciate any info you can pass along to a newbie! Love the D2, even if it is just a pile of parts so far! :yay: :yay: :yay:

Jim

thing about Internationals is there really is just about Nothing reproduced body/trim wise, there are a few things, but you have to dig to find em, good news is a lot of the mechanical stuff is made by other manufacturers so with a little research a lot but not all can be found.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:47 am

Here is a link to captainbob's build thread.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2195

He put a KB on a Dakota frame. The track width of a Dakota is very close to a K/KB/L/R/S. A D series may be narrower however. Do you know what your track width is?

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.
Next

Return to 1940 and Older