1937 D-2 Throwout Bearing

Forum designed for the D series and older

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:15 pm

1937 D-2 Throwout Bearing

I've got a 1937 D-2 IHC with an HD-213 engine and a standard 3 speed stick. The transmission has been rebuilt, as has the clutch and pressure plate. However, I am trying to replace the wornout throwout bearing and I am not sure where to buy one. The original throwout bearing says SCHATZ but there is no stock number that I can see ( pic included ).

I then purchased a new old stock ( L & S ) throwout bearing at a show and the guy told me it would fit my truck, but I am not sure ( pic included ). The L & S throwout bearing stock number is TT1081.

Here's what I would like to know if you guys can help.

1. Is the TT1081 throwout bearing I have, correct for my transmission?
2. If not, does anyone know which replacement throwout bearing is available and what the manufacturer name and stock number is/are?
3. Exactly how is the bearing applied to the release sleeve? Should it be heated or pressured into place?

Your assistance would be truly appreciated.

Thank you. George.
Attachments
Throwout Bearing Body.JPG
Release Sleeve
IHC Instruction Book Bearing Schematic.JPG
Owners Manual Schematic
SCHATZ old bearing.JPG
SCHATZ old Bearing
L S  TT1081 Replacement Bearing.JPG
L & S TT1081 NOS Bearing

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:14 pm

Re: 1937 D-2 Throwout Bearing

I crossed TT1081 to National,comes back as 2005. That bearing will work,I checked it against the direct replacement for the IH bearing 2005-43,the only difference is the OD.

ID 2.001
OD 3.500
Width .375

2005-43
ID 2.001
OD 3.688
W .375

There is also 2005-31 which is the same as 2005-43 but has a grease fitting added on the side. Many of my customers preferred it as it assured grease entering the bearing.

You could go this route too.
A TOB assembly (sleeve w/bearing) is
2005C National
N1402 SKF

The bearing is pressed onto the sleeve,be sure the mark for the grease passage lines up on each otherwise no grease will get to the bearing from the fitting on the sleeve.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:25 pm

Hi George:
All good questions.
The Timken interchange guide shows the TT1081 is equal to a Timken 2005 bearing, which is correct for this application. Usually the throwout bearing is sold as the bearing plus the carrier, which give rise to a variety of prefix and suffix letters to the 2005 base number. Per Timken the bearing & carrier assembly for the D2 is an X2005C, but I think it's usually sold as a 2005C - used for decades on a lot of IHC's. Avoid any 2005C with other prefixes like GH, GM, I, etc. because the carrier will be different.
So, for opinions. I would want this bearing to be a known good one, since it goes deep into the "guts". An oldie might have oxidized old lube, etc. or it could be in great shape.
Also, my thinking would be to press this on and not heat. I've done heat plus freeze application and it works slick. However, here we have a sealed bearing. After one hour at 250 degrees F. will the lube run out? I don't know and I'd rather not chance it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:57 am

Did I not say the bearing is OK and post good current parts numbers???
That particular TOB as an assembly 62657H superseded by 62634HEX which is the 2005C was used into the late 70's. I sold so many I couldn't even guess the number.
It's used on K's,L,R,S series and the 60's light trucks plus Loadstars & Cargostars.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:25 am

Scottso:
Are you as-s-uming I read your post and then posted mine? That's not how it happened. What's the tone for? Get over it. Everyone is here to help, right? Right?

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:25 pm

Excellent!! Thank you very much guys! I'm gonna purchase the whole set up so it goes together like new. I threw in a pic of my truck before the engine was taken out. I keep it covered and dust it now and then. Enjoy. Again, thanks!
Attachments
My 1937 International.JPG
My 1937 IHC D-2

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:30 pm

The advice provided has been excellent. However, in trying to keep with the made in USA originality of my truck, do you know who would make the above throwout bearing here in the USA? Or are they all made in China? I found a brand called skf but I was told that brand of thb is made in China. Any USA brands thb's out there? store name?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:05 pm

good question. it is getting harder to find US made stuff. so a sad commentary, a couple years ago, this guy from work goes to a ceremony to become a naturalized US citizen. He comes back and there is a little sticker on the American flag they passed that said "made in China". on a US flag for crying out loud.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:42 pm

That is funny, yet serious when you think about it. So far, I have had to search high and low for parts made in the USA. All the parts I purchase must be stamped ( Made in the USA ). My thinking is this: If my old truck was made in the USA, then all the replacement parts need to be made in the USA. I'm not China bashing, but I just want my truck to remain a USA made truck. Good News is, with the help of some fellow OldIHC members, I bought a throwout bearing made by BCA which ( I believe ) is a subsidiary of Federal Mogul. Either way, when I got the bearing today, it was clearly stamped ( 2005-31 BCA MADE IN USA ) stamped in big bold numbers and letters. How great is that! Makes you feel proud and that you are supporting American jobs. I actually had Egge Machine make and or restore all of the internal engine parts I needed to rebuild engine. They machine the parts right there in Santa Fe Springs California. So again, Made in the USA. I intend to replace all the bearings on the truck as well from wheel to you name it. So now I have a source for that as well.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:04 pm

I see you got the 2005-31 with the grease fitting?

Glad you found what you wanted, sadly not easy these days. Not long ago I read that due to fuel prices and other rising costs,mfrs. are having second thoughts about making things "overseas". Sure would be nice to see some start making stuff here again.
I'm very pro "Buy American" too, but it's hard to tell anymore which/who is actually an "American" company.
For instance,I've never owned a foreign car and never will (I'm proud to say I've only personally driven 2 in my life too :D ). I refuse to support people/companies that aren't at least based in North America as much as I possibly can. That unfortunately isn't always feasible though.

FWIW, BCA is now part of NTN (based in Japan) which also owns Bower. F-M now markets bearings under the National brand along with their seals.
SKF is based in Sweden which now owns CR (Chicago-Rawhide) seals and bearings.

Anyone want the soapbox next? :lol:
Next

Return to 1940 and Older