vin tag

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:28 am

vin tag

looking at a 39 the tag on the floor(drivers side) can not read it ?? does someone make a tag so it matches the tile # ??

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Re: vin tag

there is some guy on ebay that sells those.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:21 pm

Re: vin tag

The tag on the floor is not the serial number... not a Vin number either...

The tag on the floor is the cab number... denotes either HE or HEA cab and a production sequence number... in those days, everything had it's own serial number... chassis, pickup box, cab, engine each had it's own ID number.... the serial number associated with the vehicle SHOULD be corresponding to the chassis number BUT it was NOT unusual and is often associated with the engine number.... mine was titled against the engine ID, but DMV corrected it to correspond to the chassis number when I submitted proof that engine had been changed.... took 15 years, and copious amounts of paperwork to do so....

The chassis ID is stamped into the front left spring hanger, and it should correspond to the ID plate located on the firewall...
I have seen this plate located in several different positions, depending on year.... example, 37 D2 on the passenger side firewall, on a 38 and/or 39 on the firewall/cowl area on the driver's side...

Manufacturers of the day each had their own system of numeral ID numbers... Vin numbers are a modern system, probably dictated by the government, from which includes all matters of data, from model number, to color, engine, transmission, options etc. and are something like 16 digits in length and includes a mixture of alphabet and numbers......

PMH

Return to 1940 and Older