Data Plate resto

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:58 am

Data Plate resto

Guys
Time to work on my data plate.... currently, the data plate is difficult to read... looks like years ago some PO tried to protect the data plate by applying a clear plastic-cote or lacquer finish... but it is uneven and has fogged over.... would like to remove this coating, without destroying the black mask....
Have been accessing the various ways artwork is cleaned and/or restored, as well as soaking in lacquer thinner (don't like), baking soda and boiling water (not to thrilled), copious amounts of brass-o (?), a mixture of acetone and denatured alcohol and scrubbed with steel wool (huh?), none of which seem safe....
How do you folks address this issue? or do you leave the sleeping dogs lay?
Any/all advice/comments appreciated
PMH

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:09 pm

Re: Data Plate resto

well I have not had to address that issue as those on older vehicles I have/had are in decent shape. can you post a photo to give others some idea on what you are dealing with?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:06 pm

Won't show anything on a photo... the surface has a matte-like finish that diffuses the light...
I guess the best way to describe this would be that the materials the PO used, probably in an effort to protect the plate, is a matte/frosted overspray type finish... looks like maybe a varnish that is pitted and chipped badly... even to read the stamped data, you have to look at it at an angle... makes it almost impossible to read head on, due to the frost finish and pitting.... I need some way to dissolve this finish, whatever it is.....without destroying the black masking.... paint remover is out - a non-player.... as is acetone, they would remove the finish for sure, but almost certainly would destroy the mask... and I've got maybe one shot to get this right...

PMH

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:39 pm

Throw a picture up anyway of what you are trying to clean. These plates can be copied these days we have several places that can do this.

Trevor
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:36 pm

Well, got brave... used semi-chrome paste.... apparently the FACTORY sealed the data plate with some kind of transparent coating.. After washing and degreasing with simple green and warm water, I applied semi-chrome paste and concentrated on an edge between the rivet areas, was able to clean without destroying anything.... that made me brave enough to try an area that contained the black mask.... once applied, found the pitting disappeared, and the coating remained intact yet with a bright shine.... went over the same areas several times looking for degrading before working on the "important" areas, such as weight data, and most importantly, the chassis s/n.....

Most satisfied.... it seems that all of the before mentioned surface issues were nothing more than contamination.... I had cleaned the plate before with the simple green solution and a toothbrush, but the surface remained pitted and diffused.... but cleaning again, then the semi-chrome resolved the issue.... will follow up with a paint sealant to maintain finish...

Tks again for your support
PMH

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:59 pm

Hey Trevor, did you ever check on the repop data plates for the F and H trucks? I had found a place stateside that sounded promising but had never heard back from Frank or anyone as to the exact size. Also should know the thickness of the original. MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:08 am

Mike

Yep we can get them made no problems just need to know the sizes and whats on them.

Trevor
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Return to 1940 and Older