Sharing manuals?

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:45 pm

Sharing manuals?

I have an A-2 Manual I'd like to share with everyone. Is it okay to share a 1931 IHC Manual for the A-2 truck? The manual is owned by NebraskaKirk and scanned with his permission. If okay to share, I have a story I'd like to relate before I make the archive available for download. Admins any thought?

Erin

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:51 am

Re: Sharing manuals?

Erin

Not sure on the technicalities regarding copying but maybe Irish Mikes gangster IH site would be an easy spot to put them so everyone could retrieve them.

Here is a link to the old topic and Jim has put Mikes link in the first post.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=631

Trevor
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:25 am

I'm just not sure if there are any legal issues at work here. I'm noticing that there is a distinct lack of manuals available online and I wonder if it's because of legal issues, or just that fact that an 80+ year old manual has very few people interested in it by now any way.

I think for starters, if there is anyone who is really interested in the A2 IH manual, I'll just have people email me privately at silentATbeatriceneDOTcom and I'll respond to requests in kind with the link. It was a labour of love and I really hope that those who get the manual can use it and appreciate the work that went into it. NebraskaKirk and I worked together on this and it's our gift to the IH community.

NebraskaErin

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:08 pm

I've done numerous searches for IH manuals and have come up with pretty much nothing. There is nothing like Irish Mikes site that I've found (THANKS Mike!) anywhere. The only other manuals I found that were "free" are the U.S.Army versions of the MT-140 ('79-'82?) S-series medium duty and the MT-134 Paystar 5000 heavy duty trucks. I found them by chance at LiberatedManuals.com while doing a part number search. They're PDF's and downloadable, I DL'd the MT-140 and do use it.

I commend your offer,I've asked for info from books Mike doesn't have (the MT-110),that I know others do a few times and got nothing but silence. :t2102:
There are a few that do help though.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:53 pm

If you already have it on a "site" give us the link, Put it in the Library. If it is downloadable, then I guess someone could d/l parts that they need for reference. If they can look at it on your site, then they can always copy and paste. You can also do a copyright search on the book to see if it still is copyrighted. If NOT it is probably "fair" game. I am always on the lookout for manuals that no one has.
If you want, I can contact the Legal guy at Navistar and get his opinion. He's is a good guy.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:04 am

I see that Binder Books has the A2 manual for sale and they probably have bought at least some limited rights to do so. Might want to check with them, too, since that could cut into any sales for them pretty severely. (Didn't they use to be a sponsor for us?)

There's a site called the "Old Car Manual Project" that might have some info as well:
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/
"How the heck did that happen?"

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:51 am

I'm not sure on IH corporate's point of view on duplicating manuals today, but years ago you would need a license issued by IHC Corporate to duplicate manuals. Binder Books has the license. I don't remember who else has the license.

When Scott was alive, Binder Books was a very active sponsor of our web site.

Return to 1940 and Older