New member from Nebraska with 1932 A2

Forum designed for the D series and older

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:53 pm

New member from Nebraska with 1932 A2

]Hello all. My name is Erin and I just signed up to the forums this morning. A couple of weeks ago, I saw an ad on craigslist for "old pickup" and figured I'd have a look. It was a neat old looking vehicle and probably more missing than what was there but the guy was cleaning up a tree line and wanted to to see it go to someone who would do something other than scrap it out. He wanted $100 and so I took over the flatbed truck with the 18' bed and had him load it up. It looks like there is just enough there that I should be able to get it running. It would be fun to just do a depot hack out of it and call it car art or something. I really need to locate a set of front wheels as mine are missing. I guess the radiator and cowling was there before some thieves made off with it. Bummer.

What is it? Best as I can tell it's a 1932 A2. It's got a Waukesha engine in it. I'm pretty handy with getting things going again. I rebuilt a Sears floor jack yesterday I bought for $10. I repair small engines (tillers, snow-blowers, mowers, chainsaws) and have rebuilt some air-cooled VW engines in the past as well.) I've rebuilt the brakes on my 8N Ford tractor as well as the lift cylinder and installed a Pertronix ignition on it. Oh yeah, rebuilt the carburetor too. So it appears to me that the hardest part of getting the XAH Waukesha engine running again will be sourcing parts and I'm open to anyone who might have some technical information for me on this engine. I bought the manual from http://www.YesterdaysTractors.com but it seems to target 1936-on engines and not mine.

At any rate, this truck is probably worth more in parts, but if I just hacked on an old radiator from something else and made a nice flatbed for it, I could have a fun brush haulers for out on the acreage. I love primitive and simple machinery and honestly as anyone who knows me would tell you, if I got it running, I'd build me a plywood cab, install a gas heater from a VW, and simply just drive the thing around town. It would probably be more useful than anything else I own.

Thanks for reading my message. :) 3 additional photos will be in the next post.

Erin

00u0u_gGqeCms7qtm_600x450.jpg

00G0G_e2VEWyUVIxB_600x450.jpg

[attachment=2]00e0e_gm1vSow6TCZ_600x450.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
00e0e_gm1vSow6TCZ_600x450.jpg

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:55 pm

Re: New member from Nebraska with 1932 A2

These are the next 3 photos I couldn't fit in my last message. She's rough, but she's mine and price was right. :)

Erin
00X0X_aLVo0M2ZDQI_600x450.jpg

00V0V_754RsHdlEH3_600x450.jpg

00V0V_9O5WIz1rT01_600x450.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:43 am

Welcome aboard! You do have a lot of work to make it into something usable, but as you said the price was right! I have a little later truck a B-3 that I can take photos of if you need to take a look at something.
Hey Trevor, what about your two wheels I have here would they fit his truck? I don't even know if they are front or rear. MM

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks for your reply Mike. I hope I'm asking for the right thing when I ask for wheels. Maybe it's front drums? I know the rears have metal spoked wheels affixed to the drums, but the front has exposed brakes. It's all there and rusty, but I'm needing the brake drums or whatever the rims would affix too.

I know it's a project, but I love finding old iron and making it work again. It doesn't have to look all pretty and spiff - just be functional.

Also, would anyone know if a parts book for an A2 with a date of 12/36 be retroactive? It's 300 pages and shows all kinds of neat diagrams and parts breakdowns. I'd like to buy it from the guy if it would apply to my 1932 A2. I need parts lists for the truck, for the Waukesha engine (I'm in touch with Dennis at the Wakesha Engine Historical Society), and a shop manual if possible. I'm willing to pay for copies as well.

When I get something like this, I like to tear into it and learn all about it. It's fun, fascinating, and it's kind of like the torch has been passed along. Getting this ol' girl running again would be so much fun.

Thanks for the help and support. I don't have any rims for this A2 either so if I could scavenge up some front drums and a set of rims, I could throw some tires on her and at least get it up off wood blocks.

Erin

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:36 pm

The 1936 parts book will work fine for your 1932 A2. The only difference would be that the newer parts book would show any changes made to any parts in the preceding 4 years.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:06 pm

Erin here is a photo of front wheel on a 1926 SL. This should be similar except no brake drum and hub caps will be different.
The two wheels I have here that belong to Trevor have the brake drum attached. Can you mike the bearing surface on the spindle and measure across the brake shoes? I will try to get a measure on his wheels. I am pretty sure he would sell them. Sorry we don't have the rims, I sent those to Australia for Trevor.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:15 pm

Just went out and got some photos of the wheels I told you about.

Brake drum Image

Outer bearing inner race 0.875"
Inner bearing inner race 1.312"
If you want these send Trevor aka Slospeed, a PM

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:29 pm

Thanks for the photos and the offer. The next time I'm out at my land in the country where I have the A2 stored, I'll take measurements. I figure since the bearings are still on the spindle, I can measure them and that should give a good idea as to whether these wheels will work or not. Is there a chance the depth could be different or did IH keep these pretty much standard?

For what it's worth, I thought I'd let you all know too that today I was contacted again by Dennis from WEHS.net (that the Waukesha Engine Historical Society) and they already have copies of all the reference material I need for the Waukesha XAH engine. For some reason, the guy who sends out the information couldn't get an email to me to request my address so Dennis wrote me with the request and it delayed things a day, but man I'm not complaining! Finding this information isn't as easy and it's really cool to be able to find people who are as enthused about it as yourself.

Thanks for the help and support gang. I just got contacted by NebraskaKirk and it turns out he's only 33 miles east of me. He's got that 6 speed special so I'm hoping to arrange a meeting so I can meet him and his truck.

Erin

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:55 am

One more thing I wanted to throw in is that my wife is from Australia and we are trying to get back there the first 3 months of 2014, but right now the schedule is wide open so not sure when. We'd be headed to Brisbane which is 1110 miles north of Melbourne (we are talking southeast Australia vs East central.) For what it's worth, I'd be glad to pick up any parts in the area and ship them back for anyone but keep in mind, freight will kill ya. If there are any International hobbyists around the Brisbane area, I'd love to have a chat over a cuppa (white with 2 mate!) and take some photos of whatever you let me. Anyone from Australia will understand what I just said.

BTW: Mike - if those drums work, how much did you need to get for the pair? I'm guessing freight would kill me, but I do have a friend headed out that way in March and if we sinched the deal, I would just have him swing by and pick them up to save on freight. Feel free to contact me privately which is probably a good idea so we don't slather pricing talk over the public forum.

NQ

Return to 1940 and Older