1937 D-2 Steering Wheel Removal

Forum designed for the D series and older

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:35 pm

1937 D-2 Steering Wheel Removal

I've got a 1937 International D-2 half ton pickup. I have to remove the steering wheel. However, I am having a heck of a time trying to remove it from the column. I removed the huge nut in the center of the wheel, and the wheel won't come out. I have an original schematic of the steering wheel parts for the 1937 D-2. There is one part listed as a Bushing which is in the neck of the steering wheel. The bushing is connected to the colum, but the wheel won't come off. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can remove the steering wheel? It would be very helpful. Thank you.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:17 am

Re: 1937 D-2 Steering Wheel Removal

Just removed mine... after becoming brave, and on the third try.....
First thing I did was removed the nut and soaked the shaft with penetrating oil... multiple times over several days...
Then partially reinstalled the nut, and wobbled the steering wheel left/right, top/bottom... AND using a rubber mallet, tapped the hub of the wheel towards me.... THAT'S WHY THE NUT IS PARTIALLY REINSTALLED... otherwise, you MAY get a face full of wheel when it rockets off the shaft...
The shaft is/was not splined.... instead, the was a woodrift type keyway wedged into the shaft which aligns to a slot in the wheel...
The liberal use of penetration oil will eventually allow the wheel hub to become unseized....
Took about 30 minutes of vibrating/pounding the wheel to actually remove it..

Good luck
PMH

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:13 pm

yup, that's how it's done^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^good ol International knew we were tough and don't need no stinkin threaded holes to put a steering wheel puller in.

first time I pulled one, didn't do the leave nut on and punched myself good and hard in the face with IHC wheel
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:05 pm

;;;;ooohhhhh, that will leave a mark!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:16 pm

Ok....Even if I do not get the steering wheel off, I just had a good laugh with the comments you guys left. Thank you! I thought it was me, but glad to know i'm not the only one that's had to deal with this issue. This will be my third attempt, and this time I'll remember to keep my face away from the wheel. The last time I tried to remove the wheel, I was using a rubber mallet and yeah my face was right up there. Wow, you just don't think about it until it hits ya in face - literally. In my case, my face was so close to that wheel, if it had popped off, I would have lost several teeth. Thanks again.

Return to 1940 and Older