D-15 Wheel Cylinder Help

Forum designed for the D series and older

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:03 pm

D-15 Wheel Cylinder Help

Pulled rear brakes apart. Need new wheel cylinder or rebuild this one: Wagner Lockheed on one side FD 2949 on other. Can't get pistons to move. It was all a corroded mess but cleaned up ok. Here are photos.
IMG_8731.JPG
IMG_8732.JPG
IMG_8733.JPG

A while back on here it was posted that Wagner F14497 was almost a perfect fit but that was for a D-2. Local Reibes Auto Parts had Raybestos WC14497, which interchanges with the Wagner F14497, but it was noticeably smaller and won't work for my D-15
Does anyone know what would work for my D-15. I went to a large brake and clutch place in W. Sacramento and they couldn't locate part # on the cylinder (Wagner Lockheed FD2949). They researched and gave me a Raybestos WC37295 which was very close but about 1/8" to 3/16" less in distance from the backing plate and won't work. On the plus side, they relined the brake shoes and did a nice job.

Any help? Rebuild? Any body got old parts interchange for the number?? Thanks...

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:08 am

Re: D-15 Wheel Cylinder Help

I would take it apart, hone the cylinder and see how well it cleans up, you may be able to rebuild it and get by. You can screw a grease zerk in the hole and use grease pressure to pop one of the pistons out and then knock the other one out with a hammer and punch. I have done this several times and it works pretty good. I rebuilt the brakes on a both a 1950 and a 1956 IH truck, the local NAPA store was able to get wheel and master cylinder rebuild kits, very reasonable too.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:15 pm

if you want to go the rebuilt route, White Post Restorations does that.

http://www.whitepost.com/

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:08 pm

I don't have an IH parts book for any D's but I do have 2 PDF's that list cylinders by bore size.
So,what's the bore and how does the line connect,with an inverted flare nut or banjo bolt? Would need the thread size as well.With that I might be able to come up with something(?).

If you want more info on having yours sleeved here's a search I keep. 1st one listed is in SoCal. Just pay attention to a sites location,the results are global even though I tried to filter for US only.
https://www.google.com/#psj=1&q=wheel+c ... ng&start=0

Then there's the controversy of which sleeve material is better,stainless steel or brass. Both have pros & cons.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks for the help and the links. Will look into rebuild.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:24 pm

the thing with rebuilding wheel cylinders is if they hone out OK.

you don't need to search the world over for kits, the kit will contain rubber dust boot<maybe, spring, two rubber cups and base for springs,

pistons are not included in any rebuild kit I've ever seen,

unless your cylinder was toast, the spring, rubber dust boots, and spring base are just fine,

the rubber cups have diameter stamped on them, my local parts guy sells me the cups by size, not application, all the metal stuff is re-usable IF you can't find kits,

obviously it is best to replace everything, but sometimes reality is it's just as good, and you can get your truck back on the road instead of waiting forever to find NOS in the box kit.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:42 pm

be sure to get the part number off of the front as well.
THe owners manual for both the D-2 and d-15 show different wheel cylinders for the front and rear. a d-15 uses the same front wheel cylinders but different rear cylinders.
Unfortunately the numbers I have are for the brake cylinder parts and not a kit number.
the service manual for the d line list the front cylinder diameter as 1" for both a d2 and a d15. the rear cylinder diameter for a d15 is 1 1/4"

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:04 pm

I believe the 1.25" wheel cylinder kit is a Raybestos WK 165 or a Napa165.
Dave

Return to 1940 and Older