Were Air Brakes Available for Larger D Series

Forum designed for the D series and older

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:51 pm

Were Air Brakes Available for Larger D Series

Hi Guys,
While surfing the web I've noticed several pictures over the years of larger D series trucks pulling cargo trailers "semies". I really haven't thought about it much until I saw this page out of the special option catalog. From the parts listed does it seem as these were equiped with some type of hydraulic system for trailers? If this be the case when were air brakes finally introduced into International trucks. I would be interested in seeing any type of trailers set up with this type of braking set up especially if it were a D series. Any thoughts??????
Attachments
001.jpg
39internationaltrucks.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:01 pm

Re: Were Air Brakes Available for Larger D Series

I think CB said air brakes were an option.
Here in Scroungeville Central CA I often see the VACUUM brake systems for these year trucks and trailers.
It used a very similar coupler and pipe system. Must have been widely used at some long time ago.
Worked off engine manifold vacuum stored in a vacuum tank.
You know when you've found one. Big brake controller stalk and gauge on steering column.
I have a couple of those columns.
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:36 pm

Vacuum, as stated was common back in the day. It worked just like air brakes, with two lines and a vacuum res on the trailer. I don't know when Air brakes 1st started to be put on trucks, but The K series had it and I wouldn't be suprised if the D did also. For a while both systems were in use, this required seperate coupler designs so the wrong supply could not be attached. I bet if you Googled AIr Brakes you could find when they were 1st fitted.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:28 pm

Smog and Cornbinder

Thanks again for the info. I did some research on the vacuum over hydraulic brake design and found that it is still used quite a bit with smaller light duty trucks and trailers . From the info that I read it seems as most of the larger D series would have had this type of set up. Either way I didn't realize there was such a vacuum over hydraulic system for trailers .

Brent

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:48 pm

Obviously the air brakes have the safety advantage here. Just ask CB89. If you're building something to actually drive I think we'd be in agreement here that air brakes are the way to go.
So engine driven air compressor, etc...
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:38 am

Some trailer set ups were pure vacuum with chambers the size of pie plates. There is also the vacuum over hyd system you mentioned. The steering collum should have a "Johnson bar" or trolly valve like and air braked truck. the Valve for vacuum had a gauge and was used to set the timeing or delay so all brakes came on at the same time. I've only seen complete and working systems at old truck shows.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Here's a link for spec. literature at the WHS...
http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm ... ate/page/1

I looked at a few for the D's but didn't see a thing on air brakes being an option.I didn't look thru any of the K spec's but I'm betting they were the 1st with AB's.

I also did a few searches as CB suggested out of curiosity,like "first truck with air brakes" and variations of it. I found NADDA! :( You'd think with all the historical stuff on the web there would be something!?
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:52 pm

Found a couple items by searching history of air brakes. Mostly comes up and talks about George Westinghouse and air brakes being developed for trains. Found this timeline:
http://www.bendix.com/media/documents/aboutus/Bendix-VisionariesFromTheBeginning.pdf
Took a look at the gray book for 1924 since the timeline shows Westinghouse had airbrakes applied to International Harvester coaches at Akron Ohio. I didn't see any corolation will require more searching.
I think the biggest thing it shows is the 1949 timeline saying that air brakes become standard equipment on heavy trucks, tractor trailer and buses.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:41 pm

Further review I have found on Wisconsin Historical site a spec sheet for the 1926 Model 54M. This coach or bus had westinghouse air brakes. Also had a special 6 cyl engine and was capable of 50 mph.
I then went back to Crismon's gray book and found a photo of a 26 on page 70 saying model 53 or 54H bus and that they had Westinghouse air brakes on all 4 wheels. I know my 1934 model B-3 had vacuume assist brakes and looking at the B-3 and B-4 parts book they only offered the vacuume assist and not air brakes.
Back to the original question did the D's offer air brakes? Someone with their parts manual needs to look it up. It is feasible as I have just shown air brakes were being used by IHC as early as 1926.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:14 pm

Mike,
Wow, as early as 1926! I found about the same timeline as far as the introduction of air brakes into the market. One things for sure, the market didn't really have a standard braking system for trailers until the mid 40's when the adoption of air brakes was starting to take over. Unfortunately, the only evidence I have personally found was from my special options parts list. Being that my D-35 has vacuum assist brakes I would assume that vacuum assist tralier brakes would only make since for my model and the others listed on the page.

Brent
Next

Return to 1940 and Older